[SOLVED] Best RAM for Crosshair VIII Dark Hero + 5900X (32gb and STABLE)

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I'm putting together a new rig and have chosen a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with a Ryzen 9 5900X base. Now, I had some birthing pains with my previous build (Crosshair VI Hero + 1800X) on the RAM front, so now I'm asking for advice before I buy the wrong kit again.

I definitely need 32Gb and I'd like it to be as fast and as stable as possible, I'm planning for longevity instead of sheer power, and I will do no overclocking. The build is going to be used mainly for gaming, some audio and video editing, maybe Twitch streaming and work.

I did some research, and found that the consensus seems to be: 3600Mhz for speed, C14-16 for CAS and for 32Gb
Also, G-Skill seems to be the go-to vendor for Ryzen builds (apparently it's optimized for it) but I'm also partial for Corsair LPX RAMs since I've been been using them for decades now.

I looked around but there are so many kits with so many variables, it gets very confusing to even try to choose. My logic is that a 2x16Gb kit would be better, since a 4x8Gb has exactly double the fault possibilities, but I've also read it puts more stress on the memory controller which reduces longevity. Also, I don't like RGB (I have a closed case so it's pointless anyway) is why I prefer DIMMs without it.

Can someone recommend me some kit options or any other input which kit I should get?
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT:

I found THIS KIT in a store near me, a G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB would this be any good?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2022
G.SKILL is definitly a good way to go. 3600MHz is also pretty much a perfect speed. Make sure you get a 2 stick kit as dual channel RAM doubles the speed basically. So a 32GB kit would work good. Just make sure your mother board and CPU can support it. And if you want to you can get a motherboard that supports DDR5 if you want. If not DDR4 is still really good. Respond to this and let me know if this wasn't what you were asking.

I'm putting together a new rig and have chosen a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with a Ryzen 9 5900X base. Now, I had some birthing pains with my previous build (Crosshair VI Hero + 1800X) on the RAM front, so now I'm asking for advice before I buy the wrong kit again.

I definitely need 32Gb and I'd like it to be as fast and as stable as possible, I'm planning for longevity instead of sheer power, and I will do no overclocking. The build is going to be used mainly for gaming, some audio and video editing, maybe Twitch streaming and work.

I did some research, and found that the consensus seems to be: 3600Mhz for speed, C14-16 for CAS and for 32Gb
Also, G-Skill seems to be the go-to vendor for Ryzen builds (apparently it's optimized for it) but I'm also partial for Corsair LPX RAMs since I've been been using them for decades now.

I looked around but there are so many kits with so many variables, it gets very confusing to even try to choose. My logic is that a 2x16Gb kit would be better, since a 4x8Gb has exactly double the fault possibilities, but I've also read it puts more stress on the memory controller which reduces longevity. Also, I don't like RGB (I have a closed case so it's pointless anyway) is why I prefer DIMMs without it.

Can someone recommend me some kit options or any other input which kit I should get?
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks!

EDIT:

I found THIS KIT in a store near me, a G.SKILL 32GB KIT DDR4 3600MHz CL16 Trident Z RGB would this be any good?
Look here see what they offer.

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-crosshair-viii-dark-hero

Playbahnosh

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Honestly, at this point it's more tradition than anything. I've always built AMD rigs. My last Intel PC was a 333Mhz Celeron ages ago, I traded it for a 1.7Ghz AthlonXP and I've been on Team Red ever since. As for the AM4 being a dead platform, I don't think so. The AM5 platform won't even be introduced until late this year, and it won't see mainstream use until late-2023. Sure, DDR4 and PCIE 4 sounds great, but that won't make current gen machines perform any worse. The thing is, I would've waited with the new build until at least next year, but my current mobo forced my hand as the display failed, it won't recognize any video cards anymore. So, it's either this, or.....this. I can't be without a PC for a year.

@Bob.B
Crucial is not even on the QvL list for this board, and I haven't seen it recommended either. Everywhere I look it's either G.Skill or Corsair.

Honestly, at this point it's more tradition than anything. I've always built AMD rigs. My last Intel PC was a 333Mhz Celeron ages ago, I traded it for a 1.7Ghz AthlonXP and I've been on Team Red ever since. As for the AM4 being a dead platform, I don't think so. The AM5 platform won't even be introduced until late this year, and it won't see mainstream use until late-2023. Sure, DDR4 and PCIE 4 sounds great, but that won't make current gen machines perform any worse. The thing is, I would've waited with the new build until at least next year, but my current mobo forced my hand as the display failed, it won't recognize any video cards anymore. So, it's either this, or.....this. I can't be without a PC for a year.

@Bob.B
Crucial is not even on the QvL list for this board, and I haven't seen it recommended either. Everywhere I look it's either G.Skill or Corsair.
Crucial guarantees it will work or they will take it back.