[SOLVED] best Ram for I9 10850K

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
ok so i have a I9 10850k with a msi mpg z490 gaming plus mobo. i was originally going to buy the G.Skill Trident Z rgb 32gb (2 x 16) with 3200mhz CL16. but a friend of mine said to get 4 sticks but do 2 x 8, so 4 x 8gb RAM sticks with the same 3200mhx CL16. now i saw on reddit that the 10850K does not support quad chanel memory. and that 4 sticks will run as DUAL channel with 2dimms per channel. and itll put a strain on my cpu... is this true?? i already ordered the one 2 x 8gb 3200mhz sticks. when i had the $$ the other day i bought the other two sticks for a total of 32 same speed with CL16.. what do i do... or will i be fine?? i will be mainly be gaming/discord i also do vr as well. i didint see the need to get 64gb total, and just atleast do 32gb, ALSO seeing peoples builds on pcpartpicker using the I9 10850k and the were using 4 x 8 3200 mhz CL16 but just in different brands....

Last edited:
Solution
You should choose your RAM from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work. Your I9 10850k officially supports up to DDR4- 2933MHz.

Mixing kits is not a good idea due to slight variations in density during manufacture and that's why kits are binned to conform.

A kit with 4 dimms will put extra strain on the CPUs IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) as you said, so choose akit (2x16) 32GB at close to 2933MHz and you may have an XMP profile for easy overclocking.
Should you still be confused then a recommendation will be given for a kit to suit your msi mpg z490 gaming plus MB.

Why do you need more than 16GB ?

Video editing or Surface rendering may require more RAM but not for AAA gaming.
You should choose your RAM from the MB QVL that are tested and known to work. Your I9 10850k officially supports up to DDR4- 2933MHz.

Mixing kits is not a good idea due to slight variations in density during manufacture and that's why kits are binned to conform.

A kit with 4 dimms will put extra strain on the CPUs IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) as you said, so choose akit (2x16) 32GB at close to 2933MHz and you may have an XMP profile for easy overclocking.
Should you still be confused then a recommendation will be given for a kit to suit your msi mpg z490 gaming plus MB.

Last edited:
Solution

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020

Should you still be confused then list your MB and a recommendation will be given.

Mixing kits? Im a little lost but even if it is the same exact ram? Why close to 2933mhz? Why not a 3600mhz or 3200mhz and here is the link to my mobo MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Gaming Motherboard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QTXW1C...abc_VVJTYW76JD3B1PE3HZAG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Here is an authorities overview of why you should not mix kits.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Yes many do for budgetary reasons and some work only to find issues later on experiencing sudden shut downs with no reason.

Because Intel determine best frequency for the IMC. Intel processors do scale well however OC RAM is beyond JDEC standards and will involve manual Bios Tweaking for a stable SPD.

OC RAM such as 3200 or 3600MHz are not guaranteed as it ultimately comes down to the strength of the IMC.
Here is your QVL for 10th Gen CPU and it is from this list you should choose your RAM. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z490-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-31

Last edited: