Question Best RAM for this build?

stiffmeinster

Reputable
May 30, 2016
Gigabyte x470 aorus gaming 5
ryzen 5 2600x

I need 2x8gb kit , 3200Mhz , samsung b-die RAM that works properly with this build.

I don't need rgb , only solid color like black , silver or white.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Look on the QVL for your MB and choose a C14 or C15 kit that lists Samsung as the chip manufacturer:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi_pinnacle.pdf

I'd also Google the kit's model number to make sure they are Samsung B-Die's before you order them as well.
This should help:

FYI to the best of my knowledge the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVGB RAM Helfire listed are Not Samsung B Die.

Last edited:
Look on the QVL for your MB and choose a C14 or C15 kit that lists Samsung as the chip manufacturer:
http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi_pinnacle.pdf

I'd also Google the kit's model number to make sure they are Samsung B-Die's before you order them as well.
This should help:

FYI to the best of my knowledge the G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVGB RAM Helfire listed are Not Samsung B Die.

It is not relevant anymore. It has been taken care of in the Zen+ architecture.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
It is not relevant anymore. It has been taken care of in the Zen+ architecture.
I have a Ryzen 5 2600 on a Strix B450-F running G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200 (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR) at 3400 MHz.
But they are on my MB QVL and I have seen plenty of other people have issues with getting non-QVL ram to run at the rated (xmp/DOCP) speeds on Ryzen Zen+ rigs.
And the OP specifically asked for Samsung B Die RAM which I know for a fact OC better than my Hynix AFC RAM on my MB and many others as well.
So yes it really is still relevant.

The [Flare X (for AMD)] F4-3200C14D-16GFX will almost certainly work and should OC even higher than 3200
They are Samsung B Die chips.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...F4-3200C14D-16GFX-Performance-amp-Guide/page4

Last edited:

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Rated by Benchmarks across 15,000 or more tests on that motherboard.

1.Flare X DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB
2.Trident Z DDR4 3600 C17 2x8GB

3.Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
4.Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

Rated by Price vs Performance.

1.Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
2.Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB
3.Trident Z DDR4 3600 C17 2x8GB
4.Flare X DDR4 3200 C14 2x8GB

The Trident is factory overclocked so your not taking it much higher. AGESA updates may give better stability and allow more RAM modules to work but they also greatly affect overclocking. I have Flare and it use to hit 3600mhz but now 3400mhz stable is the best it will do. Ripjaw V and Vengeance both on average will go to 3333mhz without much fuss but taking it past that gets tricky and most likely will fail a stress test.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMAN999
First of all, QVL only shows the RAM kits tested with the board. That doesnt mean, other compatible RAM wont work. Second, it might or might not OC a bit more but that doesnt necessarily transform into any major real world performance difference. Even when it was an issue with first gen. Ryzen, it mostly applied to ASRock boards. It is a nice to have, but not a priority. For eg, if the price difference between a B-Die and non B-Die is say $10m then its not worth the miniscule performance gain it might garner.
The more important factor would be frequency and timing.
As mentioned earlier, its not a huge factor.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
First of all, QVL only shows the RAM kits tested with the board. That doesnt mean, other compatible RAM wont work. Second, it might or might not OC a bit more but that doesnt necessarily transform into any major real world performance difference. Even when it was an issue with first gen. Ryzen, it mostly applied to ASRock boards. It is a nice to have, but not a priority. For eg, if the price difference between a B-Die and non B-Die is say $10m then its not worth the miniscule performance gain it might garner.
The more important factor would be frequency and timing.
As mentioned earlier, its not a huge factor.

Yes non-QVL RAM might work with a MB BUT it might not, why take that chance when you don't have to.
Why not be sure and buy a kit that has been tested by the MB manufacturer or RAM manufacturer with your exact MB.

But, it is absolutely a factor if you can only run RAM at 2133 MHz vs 2933, 3000 or 3200 MHz on a Ryzen Zen+ rig.
It has been shown on multiple tests by multiple people that Ryzen CPUs perform much better when used with faster RAM.

Last edited:
My Kingston HyperX DDR4 3600 C17 2x8GB is not on QVL but it's 115% according to User Benchmark.
Problems may arise because DOCP is not following XMP profiles as close as Intel so some automatic DOCP settings may be different. This RAM for instance, although rated for Cl17 at 3600MHz it runs more stable at Cl 16 which in turn gives it some better performance. Can't remember right now but someone is making RAM that's completely DOCP compliant and can be distinguished by an X at the end of part number.
So some tweaking mey be needed for bets performance, Couple of handy programs for tweaking RAM:
Thaiphoon Burner http://www.softnology.biz/ to find exact parameters about RAM and
Ryzen DRAM Calculator 1.3.1 https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/ for RAM tweaking and OC, Version 1.5 coming on 7th this month.