[SOLVED] Best Ram for Upcoming Threadripper 3970X Build?

Prince_

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
I'm looking to go all out on a high end build. I'm an enthusiast so this will be fun, but more and more I've begun to make a good portion of my livelihood through digital content (video and other creative applications) and I expect that trend to increase. Thus, I've decided to splurge on an extreme build.

I've never tried anything of the HEDT variety before so I feel like that fits. I used to build for gaming but now I severely need to speed up my work flow. So I've settled on the new Threadripper 3970X and an ASUS Zenith II Extreme for the motherboard but the QVL is not very helpful for ram selection.
I have a single user environment, no virtual machines or anything like that so I kind of feel like 64GB will be fine. Yeah?
What I'm not really sure about is what sort of speed I should go for. The jump in cost from 3600 to 4000 or even 3800 is pretty intense if this new egg search is anything to go on https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=10000...601301280 601295940&d=8x8GB 64GB&Order=PRICED

I really don't have much experience with how ram affects benchmarks. Anyone have any insight? What scenario might someone need 3800mhz or higher on ram? Is there a likely scenario where I'll wish i had 128GB instead of 64?
I know there is very limited data on threadripper 3 stuff but I would think some of the use cases would be similar and the ram should't be any different for next gen stuff yeah?
I'm also wondering on how likely I am to run into compatibility issues if I dont' stick with the limited QVL. As long as its a high end

I want the system to feel as fast as possible, I'd prefer to do 8 sticks just to visually fill out the board unless that introduces heavy extra latency or something. I do want RGB for the visual appeal. While I don't have an unlimited budget, I definitely want high end. But some of those kits seem like madness at $2000. I originally guessed I'd need 600 to 800 on the high end for a solid kit of ram but some things seem higher than the last time I priced computer components.

Anybody know what's 'in' these days for a HEDT enthusiast build? Any pitfalls I should avoid? Any brands I should avoid? Any prices ranges that are just abundantly stupid and not worth it? Thanks for reading and tyia if anyone has any help to offer.

Solution
Looks like your mobo doesn't natively support past 2800MHz to begin with, anything above 2800 is considered Overclocking on your mobo. I'd go with a 3600MHz G. Skill Trident Z kit and overclock it to 3733MHz for a 1:1 ratio with your CPU. That's what your board can support. For your rendering, encoding, video editing work, you won't notice much more of a difference past 3600 Anyway, So I wouldn't waste money on 4000MHz.

As for any slowdowns for using all 8 slots, definitely not, especially with the threadripper. The TR has more data lines than any enthusiast would even know what to do with. And with PCIe Gen 4 in the picture, fuget about it. No need to lose any sleep over it.

At most you should spend at least 400-600$ on all your ram...
Looks like your mobo doesn't natively support past 2800MHz to begin with, anything above 2800 is considered Overclocking on your mobo. I'd go with a 3600MHz G. Skill Trident Z kit and overclock it to 3733MHz for a 1:1 ratio with your CPU. That's what your board can support. For your rendering, encoding, video editing work, you won't notice much more of a difference past 3600 Anyway, So I wouldn't waste money on 4000MHz.

As for any slowdowns for using all 8 slots, definitely not, especially with the threadripper. The TR has more data lines than any enthusiast would even know what to do with. And with PCIe Gen 4 in the picture, fuget about it. No need to lose any sleep over it.

At most you should spend at least 400-600$ on all your ram, Depending on how Much memory you want to go up to (64GB - 128GB)

Solution

Prince_

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012

At most you should spend at least 400-600$ on all your ram, Depending on how Much memory you want to go up to (64GB - 128GB)
Interesting.
I did recently come across the ram support chart on Linus's video as seen here
View: https://youtu.be/a8apEJ5Zt2s?t=233

it shows that for 4 sticks official support is 3200, and 2933 for 8x8, or lower still at 2667 for 8x16+

Is this all accurate? If I did 8X8 would I still be able to overclock to 3733 as you are suggesting?

Interesting.
I did recently come across the ram support chart on Linus's video as seen here
View: https://youtu.be/a8apEJ5Zt2s?t=233

it shows that for 4 sticks official support is 3200, and 2933 for 8x8, or lower still at 2667 for 8x16+

Is this all accurate? If I did 8X8 would I still be able to overclock to 3733 as you are suggesting?

Yeah you should be able to, probably even able to just leave it at 3600MHz, Although it would be considered overclocking for anything about 3200MHz.

Just remember to set the FCLK frequency in the bios to half the frequency that you set your RAM frequency to, to support the 1:1 ratio between the ram and your CPU.
For example:

FCLK: 1800
RAM frequency: 3600

Prince_

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
After a lot of looking around and considering the advice from the forum I settled on
G-Skill 4x16GB (64GB) at $438. It also says its tuned for AMD (dunno if thats marketing spin or not)
https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Trident-4x16GB-288-Pin-F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC/dp/B07WXML87M

I almost went with the corsair dominator because it is reviewed so highly and most of the currently available
https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-PC4-28800-Desktop/dp/B07N3HJ2DQ?th=1 it's also currently priced at $663, which is about $50 higher than normal according to camel and more than 200 the GSkill option.

Hopefully this is the right call.

Feb 18, 2020
Hi guys,
New to this forum, so forgive my ignorance.
Silly question.
I'm looking at a possible Threadripper Build.
My question is, i already have 48GB LPX DDR4 2666 MHz C16 (2x16GB + 2x8GB) which works just fine for my Ryzen.
If i get another 4x16GB, will i have any issues running 6x16GB + 2x8GB (112GB total ram)
I know ideally i should sell the 2x8 and get 2x16 instead, but just trying to avoid any hustle...
Also, i know that Threadripper 3000 won't run faster than 2667MHz for 8 dims, but would i benefit from having maybe less but faster ram?

Main use of the CPU is for Corona renderer, which is very RAM and COU cores hungry.

Thank you!
R