Best RAM Slot Order

Aug 30, 2018
according to what Belarc Advisor tells me about my DIMM slots, i have one 8 GB stick in DIMM slot 4 the other 3 are empty. where is the best place to put another 8 GB stick in the other 3 and run 16 GB dual channel? slot 4 BTW is not nearest to the CPU. and the tower is a HP 700-210

If you wanna install another Stick of Ram, the layout should this to use dual channel: 1+3 OR 2+4
Since you already have 1 Stick of 8GB Ram and you wanna add another it could be possible that you current Stick doesnt support dualchannel.
It is also always a little bit risky to just add another Ram stick since their are not supposed or even guaranteed to work with each other.

In my Opinion it would be better to sell your Current 8GB stick and buy a new (or used) full 2x8Gb Kit. These kits are guaranteed to work together and have dual channel.

Aug 30, 2018

Aug 30, 2018
glad you suggested that, because i have no idea what's in there, other than a serial # and i am cutting it fine on this order. i am installing a Blu-Ray burner too. this can wait until next month. thanx a lot.

The two modules must be in slots of the same color. There is no need to sell your memory because nowadays the risk of incompatibility is so small I haven't seen such issue in years and I work in PC repair company, we add up different RAM sticks from time to time.

TRENDING THREADS