Question Best recent Av solution

stephenlatimer7

Commendable
Jun 24, 2018
Have been using AVG free for a while now but its due to expire. I dont like it enough to purchase so looking for something else that's relatively cheap. resource light and effective. Got an email from AVG today saying my premium trial was ending in a week but I only have the free version and the card they quoted the last 4 digits off was not mine, so the mind boggles.

Anyway I'm open to suggestions guys and girls. Anything but Norton really as it would probably drain my fairly powerful machine to a grinding halt!!

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
If you're using Windows 10 or 8.1 I would strongly suggest going with Windows Security. It has been rated in the top tier for several years now.

See the most recent plus the last several years of historical test results from:

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas (360 Protection Testing Category)

Those test results also include all the majors and lots of minors that are out there, and include evaluation of system resources required.

Kaspersky's free AV seems to work quite well...' I'm happy with it. (Although in all fairness, I was pretty happy with Defender alone for 8-10 months, too...

On a sidenote, I was testing some little obscure piece of encryption software against a folder containing two docs, and Kaspersky interpreted it as a ransomware action, and, restored the two original files from...somewhere ...even after they were encrypted. Impressive, even if a false alarm this time.