Question Best recommendation for a docking station to connect multiple SSD types ?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Hello

My intention is to buy a docking station to put an HDD in, but one that can also take these storage types:

HDD
SSD 2.5''
SSD M2
SSD NVMe

It to apply scanning and firmware update (mostly for the SSD types)

From your experience, what is your best recommendation for a docking station that meets those requirements?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Hello

Yes, that one of multiple SSD adapter thank you. Do you have some experience with that product? Or by other manufacturer?

I watched the first video about the product itself, is not clear if is for only to copy data between hard disks.

The main goal is connect it in a laptop and to put a SSD to update a firmware.

Hello

Yes, that one of multiple SSD adapter thank you. Do you have some experience with that product? Or by other manufacturer?

I watched the first video about the product itself, is not clear if is for only to copy data between hard disks.

The main goal is connect it in a laptop and to put a SSD to update a firmware.
Sabrent is THE make to look for. this particular drive connects to USB-c on the PC and all is done thru PC software. For just updating FW you don't even need anything complicated and fast as that one, any cheap adapter from SATA to USB2 would do.

Reactions: Manuel Jordan

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Thanks for the reply Mike

Sabrent is THE make to look for.

Do you have a personal experience with that manufacturer and its products?

For just updating FW you don't even need anything complicated and fast as that one, any cheap adapter from SATA to USB2 would do.

Has sense your point, but I have other laptop working with SSD M2 and not with 2.5'', therefore I have the 2 models and I think is an option have one component working as multiple adapter

About the USB to SATA adapter, do you have a recommendation?

Thank you

Thanks for the reply Mike

Do you have a personal experience with that manufacturer and its products?

Has sense your point, but I have other laptop working with SSD M2 and not with 2.5'', therefore I have the 2 models and I think is an option have one component working as multiple adapter

About the USB to SATA adapter, do you have a recommendation?

Thank you
Yes I have several of their adapters. One is just a most simple USB3 to 2.5" (HDD or SSD) disk adapter, they don't need 12v like 3.5" drives do as they work of 5v which USB provides. They are very cheap and reliable. I switched to all M.2 NVMe SSDs so 5 of my SATA SSDs are now used instead of pen drives.
Also using this dual disk docking station and keep 2 x 3.5" 4TB drives for backup purposes.
https://sabrent.com/collections/docking-station/products/ec-dsk2

Reactions: Manuel Jordan

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Another manufacturer to consider is Vantec. Call it a bias, but I've used them for most of my internal drive to USB thing of some sort and they haven't given me problems.

Hino:
Thanks for the feedback. Pls. could you share the exact model of your adapter? Is available on Amazon? if is yes, pls, share the link

Mike:
Huge thanks for the feedback

Yes I have several of their adapters. One is just a most simple USB3 to 2.5" (HDD or SSD) disk adapter, they don't need 12v like 3.5" drives do as they work of 5v which USB provides.

Interesting that point about the voltage, thus I am assuming the cable/adapter itself already handles the voltage

They are very cheap and reliable.

Thanks for that point. Just being curious Could exist a USB to SSD M2 adapter? and from USB to SSD nvme?

I switched to all M.2 NVMe SSDs so 5 of my SATA SSDs are now used instead of pen drives.

Thanks for that point, I thought to apply the same approach but because SSD has more risk to pass away quickly I stopped to take that approach. I have pendrives since 2008 and working so far in peace ..

Also using this dual disk docking station and keep 2 x 3.5" 4TB drives for backup purposes.
https://sabrent.com/collections/docking-station/products/ec-dsk2

Thanks for the link

Last edited:
Hino:
Thanks for the feedback. Pls. could you share the exact model of your adapter? Is available on Amazon? if is yes, pls, share the link

Mike:
Huge thanks for the feedback

Interesting that point about the voltage, thus I am assuming the cable/adapter itself already handles the voltage

Thanks for that point. Just being curious Could exist a USB to SSD M2 adapter? and from USB to SSD nvme?

Thanks for that point, I thought to apply the same approach but because SSD has more risk to pass away quickly I stopped to take that approach. I have pendrives since 2008 and working so far in peace ..

Thanks for the link
SSDs are more robust than so called "pen drives", specially older ones. In most cases even more than HDDs and with lesser chance of being damaged physically. Beside lower price (per GB/TB) HDDs have longer times for data fade (but that's measured in decades of staying without power)and easier to rescue data if anything goes wrong.