Best recording software for my setup or OBS settings

mushroomiii

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014
Hello all
Please could someone recommend a good game recording software

I have tried:

OBS - bad quality( dont know why, a fix would be nice XD) - i watched this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omXrnMxKV_o)

Dxtory - huge file size
AMD DVR- ok
Action! - locks frame rate
And i did go on youtube to look up optimal settings for each)

I would like a good file size, with little performance hit, and decent quality. here are some i have not tried D3DGear or bandicam

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz
GPU: HD 7850 OC (Cclock :1100, Mclock: 1300)
HDD: seagate baracuda
SSD: samsung 840 evo 120gb

Thanks!!

Solution

OBS doesn't support hardware encoding for your GPU. Thus you'd get a huge performance drop when gaming since it uses the CPU to encode the video which is far less efficient.

I can use it just fine but then it fully supports my NVENC encoder on my NVidia card (can even use the Intel iGPU's encoder as well).

As for QUALITY I'm not sure...
1) There are two ways to record and that is:
a) GPU hardware acceleration (i.e. H.264 video encoder), or
b) CPU software solution

Performance with a CPU solution can cause frame rate to tank. I'm not sure if it can affect video QUALITY though as I assume that's a preset (though video might stutter or program may not offer high enough quality settings if you can't handle it... I'm not sure there).

2) GPU acceleration?
The AMD Gaming Evolved solution is AFAIK the only one that may support this. I'm not sure if it supports your card or not.

Other?
I'm not aware of other programs that would work well for you. I personally use NVidia Shadowplay and my frame rate never drops more than 5% (even at 1440p 60FPS HIGH).

I did try AMD Gaming Evolved which actually did quite good though I didn't test the performance drop. I assume it used my CPU (i7-3770K) unless it can use the iGPU on my Intel CPU or NVENC encoder though I doubt they would (or could) support those.

Summary:
Again, AFAIK there aren't too many ideal solutions other than AMD Gaming Evolved (if it works well for you). If that solution doesn't work my only advice is get an NVidia card.

OBS doesn't support hardware encoding for your GPU. Thus you'd get a huge performance drop when gaming since it uses the CPU to encode the video which is far less efficient.

I can use it just fine but then it fully supports my NVENC encoder on my NVidia card (can even use the Intel iGPU's encoder as well).

As for QUALITY I'm not sure why that would be a problem so not sure what you're doing wrong there, only the frame rate in the game. I've never forced it to run without hardware acceleration though... so again unless the program is somehow dropping the settings automatically due to CPU performance I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Anyway, for you as I said the AMD solution is probably best.

Solution

mushroomiii

Reputable
Oct 2, 2014

As far as i know, it actually does support x264 encoding, just like game dvr. says it in the settings even. It also has lovely file sizes. just the quality thats the issue. but Game DVR is probably the best since the quality bad. thanks