Best replacement for Outlook Express in Win 7 (64bit)?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skarydrunkguy

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Windows Live Mail absolutely blows. I don't want or need to spend $200+ for full Outlook. I hear Thunderbird is a pita and Eudora doesn't like Win7 64bit.

What is everyone using for email now?!

Anyone have success adding an old version of Outlook Express from XP to 7? Googling takes me to all worthless sites talking about beta releases from 6+ months ago (ps... wtf google?!?)

Solution
I've used Outlook Express on my home system for many years and it worked just fine for me. The lack of it in Windows 7 annoyed me because it meant I had to spend time researching and testing alternatives.

I settled on Thunderbird. I'm currently running 2.0.0.23 on 64-bit Win7 RC Build 7100. It works perfectly well for me - I have multiple e-mail accounts which I'm able to access through one Thunderbird profile. Thunderbird gives you a choice as to whether you want to receive mail from each account into separate inboxes or into a common inbox (I use the latter). It's able to do everything that I did under Outlook Express and the learning curve was very minor.

The most difficult part was migrating my mailboxes full of existing...
oh heavens this is depressing - I to am looking for a decent solution to OE. I have spent 2 frustrating days trying to work out how to bring into Outlook 2003, which I have the licence for, the old archives emails address book from OE on the old XP notebook that has died, in O2003.

I want the setup I had with OE - different IDs with some having more that 2 emails accounts popped into them. I hate Windows 7 - loved XP and if the damn notebook hadn't lost it screen capability would still be happy.

-Trying to set up the pop accounts is a nightmare,
-trying to get separate IDs for the groups of accounts another nightmare
-trying to import not sure of which OE files I need (also saved to an external drive as one other poster has done),
-and then reading all these posts extending the nightmare

Sorry - missed this one when I was away for a few days. What problem did you have when you tried to export from OE to Outlook? Have you got the OE address book data in CSV format? The OE files you need to convert to Outlook are all those with .dbx filename extensions.

zootrevere

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
My problem is basically the same as above. I imported everything from OE to WLM. The boss hated it. He liked having seperate folders for email addresses that he can pick from and writing an email was a nightmare in WLM, as far as adding contacts.
So I put Thunderbird on and was unable to import WLM email. It was also a pain to creat emails in.
So can anybody tell me is Outlook has the same ability as OE to create folders for email addresses? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.