Best Resin 3D Printers in 2021

Oct 30, 2021
Prices are incorrect and in my opinion there are much better options out there.
This would be my list.

Best Overall
Epax X1-4k
4K mono screen. They're built like a tank. The X1 platform is upgradable.
Company headquarters are in the USA (much easier to get parts & support should you need either)
$549

Best High End
Formlabs Form 2 (I prefer it to the form 3)
$2400

Best Large Format (there are a lot of good machines in the category)
Uniz Ibee + Lychee Slicer
Exceptional build quality & a superior light source to most other printers in it's class
Can be found new for $400-$500. (frequent promotions) Retails for $1400

Best High Resolution Machine
If high resolution is what you're after hold off for now. New tech is just around the corner. Watch for these machines.
Phrozen Sonic Mini 8k - 8k LCD machine, build quality looks to be much improved over last years 4k model.
Anycubic Photon Ultra - DLP based machine. Actual resolution is quite low but the quality of the DLP light source is supposed to be a game changer.
Mars 3 DLP - Another DLP based machine to look out for. I understand the resolution of this machine will be superior to the Photon Ultra

Best $300 or Less
Elegoo Mars 3
Least expensive 4K mono machine. Seems to outperform the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K.
$300

Last edited:

mogster

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
I've considered getting one of these, but I'm wondering - how do you deal with the smell? As I understand it, the resin requires good ventilation, but I live in a small apartment with a couple windows on one side and a hot climate. I can't imagine having to deal with fumes for hours while something is printing.

Oct 30, 2021
An apartment isn't the ideal environment for a resin printer. The smell isnt really what you need to worry about, there are a lot of resins that don't have a strong or unpleasant scent. Dangerous VOC's are the concern & the smell from these fumes may not be noticable. I know at least one resin manuacturer (sirayatech) says that the amount of VOC's released from uncured resin is quite low but VOC's will likely build up inside the printer. You're most likely to be exposed when you lift the lid after completing a print. If you have a window in the apartment you could make some modification to continually vent the fumes, or you could have a fan or something to exhaust them when you're most likely to be exposed. I'd invest in a vat cover to keep the VOC's from entering your living space while the printer isn't in use.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023
Following on from Jargyle's suggestions.

I can only comment on the Elegoo Mars 3 as i bought one a couple of years ago as my first ever printer.

I've happily been printing mind blowing models out of the box for 2 years with only 1 failure (Caused by me scaling down a pre-supported model so the supports were like hairs!)

I find the CHITUBOX slicer really easy to use and their water washable resin great.

valdier

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Honestly the best 3d printer out currently in the consumer range is likely the UniFormation 8K gk2.
It has better build quality, convenience features, carbon filters, heated resin bed, etc.

I have several SLA and FDM printers and this one is hands down the best design and feature set in this space.

valdier

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
I've considered getting one of these, but I'm wondering - how do you deal with the smell? As I understand it, the resin requires good ventilation, but I live in a small apartment with a couple windows on one side and a hot climate. I can't imagine having to deal with fumes for hours while something is printing.
I just have a Dyson air filter in the same room as the printer. Can't smell *anything* and the Dyson purifies the air nonstop.