Best resolution to read books

Apr 26, 2018
So I'm starting my college and bought huge collection of books and other materials. I'm planning to study with (TABLET/LAPTOP) what screen resolution should I use for good readability of pdf and other office documents?
Is 720p good enough or should I look for 1080p resolution displays?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
Honestly, it shouldn't matter too much.

Dedicated reading devices (E-Readers) tend to focus on PPI (pixels per inch), which is resolution X screen size.

Higher-end e-readers are typically >300ppi whereas when you scale that to a laptop (say 15.6" for arguments sake), 1080p would be ~150ppi and 720p in the ~80ppi range.

A full-sized laptop would need to be 4K @ 15.6" before it's pushing the same kind of pixel density as some of the panels used in outright e-readers.

BUT, for reading a book, or studying etc, any 'decent' resolution should be fine. Ideally 1080p IMO, but it shouldn't be a huge, huge concern.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Honestly, it shouldn't matter too much.

Dedicated reading devices (E-Readers) tend to focus on PPI (pixels per inch), which is resolution X screen size.

Higher-end e-readers are typically >300ppi whereas when you scale that to a laptop (say 15.6" for arguments sake), 1080p would be ~150ppi and 720p in the ~80ppi range.

A full-sized laptop would need to be 4K @ 15.6" before it's pushing the same kind of pixel density as some of the panels used in outright e-readers.

BUT, for reading a book, or studying etc, any 'decent' resolution should be fine. Ideally 1080p IMO, but it shouldn't be a huge, huge concern.

Solution