Build Advice Best rimworld budget build G41 FOXCONN

Jun 11, 2019
Hey all first post here.

Going for a budget build to play rimworld! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trying to make best low end build peice by piece

To start with it's a Compaq 500b Mt with what i believe is a FOXCONN 2A8C g41 chipset (all stock).

Got a e5400 Intel duo 2.7 ghz

Installed 6 gb ram, total physical 2.97, and available 2.09.

Running Windows 7 pro 32 bit

small 7200 rpm harddrive

And no installed graphics card.

What i would like to do is:
1.Install a graphics card
2.Upgrade cpu
3.Install ssd
4.Upgrade to win 7 pro 64 bit
5.Upgrade ram (to the maximum)

Anyone got some tips on how to do this the cheapest/most cost effective way possible?

backdoorluts9

Prominent
Jun 4, 2019
Some advice I have for you in regards to the build is find cheap used parts. being this is an older build its gonna be harder finding the right pieces to match that are not already used. IM not familiar with this build but im assuming you can just stick any old pieces in it. Look around on craigslist, Letgo, Offerup to find some good deals to meet your needs

Reactions: Nategreene
Jun 11, 2019
Thanks for reply! I'm located in Puerto Rico and there's not really a big computer gaming community

Literally any old parts would do (especially the gpu)

I've looked on aliexpress and eBay...
No luck on finding a useable gpu under 20$

Jun 11, 2019
Not sure why i would upgrade to Windows 10. I can see zero benefit besides the supposed "support" for my outdated system. Windows 10 was the os on the original hd but it ran slow as molasses, leading me to replace it with an identical hard Drive containing win 7.

And wouldn't the win 7 64 bit resolve the 3gb ram throttleing issue?

Jun 11, 2019
Yes!! Thank you!
I was looking into both of those! E8400 2 quad and the gt 730!
Thanks for the link as well!

Also,
The link claims 4gb is the max for ddr3, and there seems to be some confusion within other threads on this forum about that limit. I understand a lower speed ddr3 might work...

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
This will give you a list of what CPU's, that system should support. The E8400 is a dual core, not a quad core. Core 2 quads started with a Q and dual cores were E.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/compaq-500b-microtower-pc/4025810/document/c01878701#AbT0

Tech yes city often has vids for some insanely cheap systems, on youtube. You might want to check it out. You might be able to get a far better system, and still not spend a lot, in the process.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bryaneasy/videos

Jun 11, 2019
Thank you! Yep def the q8400.

I'm sure there are plenty of better cheap builds out there. I was gifted two compaq 500b so...
This was probably gonna end up being the cheapest option.

I've found the gpu for like 40$ but with delivery thats just too much.

Gonna end up running it on my sager.
Thx everyone