Question Best router to buy?

Jun 25, 2019
What would be my best option for a new router? Which would help my connection speeds, (got a cheap 24$ TP link right now) worth upgrading? Also looking at better bandwidth control, bandwidth monitoring? For under 100$

It all depend on how fast your internet is. I suspect since you are looking for a low price router you are not spending $100/month for gigabit internet.

There really is no need to buy fancy routers even if you have more money. Most end devices can not use things like 4x4 mimo (they do not have 4 antenna). Look for a router that says its at least 1200 but I would not go higher than 1750. This would be 450+1300 which is 3x3 mimo. Many device can not even use that but the price points for the router has come down so far that there is not a huge difference. Note this is only wifi almost all routers can run close to gigabit speeds on ethernet.

The only concern would be if you have a fairly fast internet connection QoS can bottle neck your router. You need quite a bit of cpu to keep up with say 100mbit internet connection. Then again you only need QoS when you are using all your bandwidth.

Software wise tplink and asus have more advanced features. Many asus routers you can load merlin firmware on it which is more advanced than the factory firmware but is not as hard to use as things like dd-wrt.

Jun 25, 2019
It all depend on how fast your internet is. I suspect since you are looking for a low price router you are not spending $100/month for gigabit internet.

There really is no need to buy fancy routers even if you have more money. Most end devices can not use things like 4x4 mimo (they do not have 4 antenna). Look for a router that says its at least 1200 but I would not go higher than 1750. This would be 450+1300 which is 3x3 mimo. Many device can not even use that but the price points for the router has come down so far that there is not a huge difference. Note this is only wifi almost all routers can run close to gigabit speeds on ethernet.

The only concern would be if you have a fairly fast internet connection QoS can bottle neck your router. You need quite a bit of cpu to keep up with say 100mbit internet connection. Then again you only need QoS when you are using all your bandwidth.

Software wise tplink and asus have more advanced features. Many asus routers you can load merlin firmware on it which is more advanced than the factory firmware but is not as hard to use as things like dd-wrt.
We’re paying for dedicated 10mbps speeds. But speed test.net shows us 3-4 mb speeds, we’ve contacted out isp multiple times, and they’ve come and done tests an say that on their end it’s showing the 10mb we’re supposed to have. I’ve plugged in a different cheap router, and noticed a slight increase in speed.

I’m abit of a newbie here, but the pc’s connected to it are pretty high end, maybe even overkill, with 10g network cards and such.

Router doesn’t even need to throw off wifi, as we have a separate router/range extender if need be

Jun 25, 2019
We’re paying for dedicated 10mbps speeds. But speed test.net shows us 3-4 mb speeds, we’ve contacted out isp multiple times, and they’ve come and done tests an say that on their end it’s showing the 10mb we’re supposed to have. I’ve plugged in a different cheap router, and noticed a slight increase in speed.

I’m abit of a newbie here, but the pc’s connected to it are pretty high end, maybe even overkill, with 10g network cards and such.

Router doesn’t even need to throw off wifi, as we have a separate router/range extender if need be
But, if router is the answer to our speed issues, price don’t matter much.

Pretty much any router should keep up with 10mbps using ethernet but yours may have issues. Now if it is really old using stuff like 802.11g your wifi will be very slow. Most $50 routers that claim 1200 speed should get you 30-40mbps on 2.4g and quite a bit more using 802.11ac on 5g.

You need to look at the online manuals to decide which QoS implementation is closer to your needs. Still there is only so much you can do when you only have 10mbps. Many video services easily will exceed that.