Best RTS games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gheed

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
Thinking of buying Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising, any other recommendations? Are there any recent historical or fantasy RTS games worth playing?

phantom887

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
It's old, but I've always loved Rise of Nations. Or Age of Empires 3. Or, for something a little different, Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War. It allows you to take command of your "hero" and join the battle with your armies in a third person fighting mode.

I highly recommend the C&C series for fun and nostalgia value. StarCraft 1 & 2 are must-plays for any RTS fan. The Age of Empires series is excellent, and if you like fantasy, you'll enjoy Battle for Middle-Earth a lot.

EDIT: Forgot WarCraft. What was I thinking?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Loved starcraft so much. Starcraft 2 just felt like a massive letdown to me, although I still play it.

C&C series is indeed good.

Supreme Commander I enjoyed

Total Annihilation was one of my favorite games back in the day along with Starcraft!

One more I just thought of, another Relic/THQ title: Company of Heroes. It's probably the best WW2 RTS out there.

Rome Total WAR + Barbarian invasion
Empire Total War + Napoleon Total War
Shogun 1
Command and Conquer series
Command and Conquer Red Alert series
Command and Conquer Generals series
Warcraft 1 and 2
Starcraft 1

icebreaker125

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Middle Earth II Is amazing (Lord of the rings) but online servers got taken off by ea
Empire total war + Napoleon Total war are great 1700, 1800 time period games
Rome total War (Roman Era)
Company of Heroes (WW2)
Dawn of War II
Age of Empires III is another great game1492-1850
Medieval 2
Command and Conquer 3 :D

Jonathern

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Company of Heroes still my favorite RTS game,Just something about it that keeps me wanting to play more especially via lan with a couple friends

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Company of Heroes is my favorite "Modern day" RTS and Age of Empires 1 is my favorite "Old school" RTS.

I also love Total War series but I don't consider them a traditional RTS.

joedastudd

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2007
Total War series (Rome and later)
Supreme Commander, the original and FA, don't bother with SupCom2 they screwed up everything.

Those are my favourites for the WOW factor (epic battles and scale).

The more tradition ones like RA2, AoE2, Rise Of Nations, Warcraft 3, Dawn of War are classics and definitely worth playing.

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
Red Alert 1, 2 and 3
Star Wars Empire at War Gold
Age of Empires 2 and 3
Company of Heroes

These are some of my favorites, I grew up with Red Alert and its by far my favorite RTS of all time. Well maybe the second one is :)

Status
Not open for further replies.