[SOLVED] Best Screen Types?

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Wondering what are best screen types. I know I've heard of OLED known for best colors. Then there are several I'm seeing a lot of that I don't recognize: IPS, VA, and LED.

Games and productivity/school stuff. Don't really care about refresh rate, I just want more resolution, larger screen size, and better colors.
For those uses you will want to go with IPS or VA. I have a 3440x1440 VA panel monitor and I love it. Having used both IPS and VA monitors of similar quality I cannot tell the difference in colors (I am red/green color blind so probably makes a difference), however, I can easily tell the difference in contrast. IPS monitors have lower contrast so things don't "pop" as much on the screen. One of the reasons OLED TVs are so amazing is that they have an infinite contrast. When looking for contrast ratio on a monitor DO NOT pay attention to the rated "Dynamic Contrast Ratio." That is stating an absolute that cannot happen. Instead you want to find the "Static Contrast Ratio" as that is at anytime under usage the absolue difference in brightness between the darkest and brightest parts of the screen.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
For those uses you will want to go with IPS or VA. I have a 3440x1440 VA panel monitor and I love it. Having used both IPS and VA monitors of similar quality I cannot tell the difference in colors (I am red/green color blind so probably makes a difference), however, I can easily tell the difference in contrast. IPS monitors have lower contrast so things don't "pop" as much on the screen.

I read your link though and it seemed to say IPS had better colors than VA. ("IPS panels have the best viewing angles and colors of any LCD monitor type, thanks to its crystal alignment always lining up with the viewer.")

One of the reasons OLED TVs are so amazing is that they have an infinite contrast. When looking for contrast ratio on a monitor DO NOT pay attention to the rated "Dynamic Contrast Ratio."

Yeah I wish the monitors I am looking at right now were OLED. Looks like they are all IPS or VA panels or something.

Reactions: jeremyj_83

TRENDING THREADS