[SOLVED] Best settings for Nvidia GTX 1070?

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I finally got it as I mentioned in my posts before. So I only have a 60hz (yes i know 60hz is not that great) 1080p monitor with no freesync so I can't enable GSync through drivers. What's the best Nvidia settings to minimize micro stuttering? My card runs over 100 FPS, 140 at least through MSI Afterburner but it's capped at 60. I get the occasional micro stutters ON some games but some games are silky smooth. Rn, getting a new monitor is not an option. I'll get it soon some point in December but not rn

Solution
I finally got it as I mentioned in my posts before. So I only have a 60hz (yes i know 60hz is not that great) 1080p monitor with no freesync so I can't enable GSync through drivers. What's the best Nvidia settings to minimize micro stuttering? My card runs over 100 FPS, 140 at least through MSI Afterburner but it's capped at 60. I get the occasional micro stutters ON some games but some games are silky smooth. Rn, getting a new monitor is not an option. I'll get it soon some point in December but not rn

Stop capping your frames.

Here is why.

Even though your monitor can only display 60 fps, does not mean you do not get better performance if a game is running at 200fps. It will still feel better, and more...
Then your framerate cap is probably the cause. Try increasing the frame rate cap on those games, even though your refresh rate is 60hz, and see what happens. If you don't get any tearing it might help the problem. If it doesn't, and you get tearing, then change it back.

Granted, not every game will let you adjust frame rate caps and some require sort of alternative methods but you might be able to find info on doing that if you look around. If you can't adjust the cap, turn it off.

Last edited:

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Then your framerate cap is probably the cause. Try increasing the frame rate cap on those games, even though your refresh rate is 60hz, and see what happens. If you don't get any tearing it might help the problem. If it doesn't, and you get tearing, then change it back.

Granted, not every game will let you adjust frame rate caps and some require sort of alternative methods but you might be able to find info on doing that if you look around. If you can't adjust the cap, turn it off.
Ok thanks, I'll try that. Would getting a higher refresh rate fix the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doubtful. Possible, but doubtful. More likely you'd see improvement if you got a higher refresh rate unit WITH either G-sync, or better yet, G-sync compatible Freesync. There are a lot of Freesync monitors that are fully compatible with G-sync now, so they work fine with Nvidia graphics cards and tend to eliminate tearing and allow higher frame rates that reduce or remove micro-stuttering. But I can't say it will fix your problem, because I don't know what the source of your problem is for certain.

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Doubtful. Possible, but doubtful. More likely you'd see improvement if you got a higher refresh rate unit WITH either G-sync, or better yet, G-sync compatible Freesync. There are a lot of Freesync monitors that are fully compatible with G-sync now, so they work fine with Nvidia graphics cards and tend to eliminate tearing and allow higher frame rates that reduce or remove micro-stuttering. But I can't say it will fix your problem, because I don't know what the source of your problem is for certain.
I have some pretty terrible ram with a Ryzen 5 2600, would be upgrading from 2400mhz 2x4 to 3000mhz 2x8, is that more effective?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The slower speed ram is most likely the culprit here.

Higher speed ram will help a lot with CPU performance which will improve the speed and efficiency at which the CPU and GPU communicate when gaming.

Also, going from 8gb to 16gb won't hurt for modern titles as well.

Stop capping your frames.

Here is why.

Even though your monitor can only display 60 fps, does not mean you do not get better performance if a game is running at 200fps. It will still feel better, and more responsive the higher fps your game runs, even though your monitor can only display so many of those frames.

Now in some instances, some games dont like to run over a certain fps, like apex legends. Once it goes over 200fps, at least for me, it seems a bit stuttery like its an issue with my mouse. So I limit apex legends to 160fps so I never have an issue. This issue is more the game, than the hardware.

Rocket League may be another good example of a game that doesnt run that well over 250fps.

So depending on the games your playing you may want to put a cap on them, but still put it high to where you get the fastest frametime you can while playing.

When you limit fps, it can cause microstuttering because the game really wants to push out more fps and its not allowed. Ive had so many issues with capping games at my monitors refresh rate including very bad screen tearing.

I have a 75hz monitor, if I cap a game at 75hz, I have the WORST screen tearing, but if I take off the cap and let the game run with unlimited frames, or at least 120fps, its almost like the screen tearing is non existant or at least negligable compared to when capping to my refresh rate.

Only cap fps in games if there is an issue with running high fps. Keep in mind the more fps your hardware is pushing, the harder it will work the cpu.

As far as your ram

Ryzen LOVES fast ram. So yes upgrading from 2600 to 3000 will be a lot better and will even increase in game performance. I have the Ryzen 5 2600 and have 16gb 3000mhz and it works great. Im kind of thinking of even upgrading to like 3600mhz or something higher than 300mhz as I feel it would help even more.

Reactions: stinkycreature1
Solution
Ok thanks, I'll work on getting faster ram.

It will give you a great performance boost if and when you can.

Keep in mind, when talking about IN GAME performance, no upgrade will give as much performance increase as upgrading the gpu.

You will get increased performance with a higher speed ram, like 10% boost, however if you really want more frames a gpu upgrade would be best!

But Im glad I could help you understand your issue and good luck in the future! If you have any more questions just hit us up :)

Reactions: stinkycreature1

stinkycreature1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
It will give you a great performance boost if and when you can.

Keep in mind, when talking about IN GAME performance, no upgrade will give as much performance increase as upgrading the gpu.

You will get increased performance with a higher speed ram, like 10% boost, however if you really want more frames a gpu upgrade would be best!

But Im glad I could help you understand your issue and good luck in the future! If you have any more questions just hit us up :)

Ok thanks, but I definitely won't be upgrading my gpu for a while lol. Recently upgraded from a 570 to almost new 1070.

Reactions: Jason H.
My 2060 Super does 1440p at high or ultra on most games. 60fps easily even with an old 6700k. It is not good enough for my display however so I'm needing to upgrade the platform soon so I can hit closer to my 144fps margins.

Your memory speed might be a factor in performance, but memory speed isn't likely to cause micro-stutters. And, you need to determine if you have stutters or micro-stutters, or if it's actually a stutter issue at all, because they are not the same and they have generally different causes.

I agree that more, and faster memory is a good idea in any case, because 8GB might be low in some circumstances and 2400mhz is pretty slow for Ryzen, but if that fixes the problem then micro stuttering wasn't your issue.

Some other things you might want to do, because they can DEFINITELY have an effect on gaming performance, is to disable automatic drive optimization for all drives. You can defragment or run TRIM manually periodically.

Also, disable system restore for all drives AND delete all the restore points. I've never once seen system restore work right anyhow if there was any kind of significant issue with the OS, and third party backup image programs work FAR better anyhow, and can be set to simply backup on YOUR schedule, or just manually do it when it is convenient to you. Anytime those two programs decide to fire up and run while you are gaming, it can cause all sorts of performance issues.

Also, make SURE you have the MOST recent AMD chipset drivers installed from the AMD website, not from the motherboard product page. On the motherboard product page make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your network adapters (LAN/Wi Fi), audio and if there are any 3rd party USB or storage controllers on your board, then those as well. Don't ever rely on the Microsoft supplied drivers unless you have no other options, as with some older hardware.

Using the DDU to do a clean install of the graphics drivers is ALWAYS something that should be considered as a first step as well, when there are performance or other gaming issues.

Reactions: Jason H.

TRENDING THREADS