[SOLVED] Best setup for a heavy duty compiler machine?

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Hi there,

I have an unusual request from a friend: to help building a heavy duty machine that has many cores and strong CPU. It will be used to compile huge C++ projects that take quite long time (hours) even with caching and lots of RAM.

My question is: what do you advise?

I have been thinking of getting a second-hand Dell PowerEdge and fit it with some decent server CPU, or perhaps get a ProDesk 600 mini and fit it with a ludicrously fast CPU?

Thanks

Solution
8GB RAM suffice, so I will probably fit 16. They are both important aspects but faster is more important.

Dell Poweredge R430, but we can get something better (2nd-hands, preferably)

Thanks for the suggestions; noise shouldn't be a big problem, it can stay in its own area away from people, and it has good air circulation.

I am checking the options you mentioned; Z8xx seem a bit pricey to get here.
The specs you are saying fit a workstation, or even refurbished desktop more than a server. This is cheap and you can add 8GB RAM and a 256SSD and still come in under $700. Is it "heavy duty" no, but with a 10th Gen i7 you get 8c/16t at a higher clock speed than you would with an old server and will be much quieter...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi there,

I have an unusual request from a friend: to help building a heavy duty machine that has many cores and strong CPU. It will be used to compile huge C++ projects that take quite long time (hours) even with caching and lots of RAM.

My question is: what do you advise?

I have been thinking of getting a second-hand Dell PowerEdge and fit it with some decent server CPU, or perhaps get a ProDesk 600 mini and fit it with a ludicrously fast CPU?

Thanks
A PowerEdge or an HP DL380 is an option. But a NOISY one. I would look at Workstations (Z820, Z840) instead. The HP ML350 is a rack mount option in a larger case with quieter fans.
The Z820, Z840 workstations have the same basic motherboard as a DL380 but are much quieter.

Reactions: SamirD and mrwolf33

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
At that price range going with a 2nd hand rack server isn't the worst idea. You can get some decent Ivy Bridge refurbished on Newegg. The main questions are what is more important for the compile, more cores or faster cores, and how much RAM is needed.
8GB RAM suffice, so I will probably fit 16. They are both important aspects but faster is more important.

what your friend have today?

A PowerEdge or an HP DL380 is an option. But a NOISY one. I would look at Workstations (Z820, Z840) instead. The HP ML350 is a rack mount option in a larger case with quieter fans.
The Z820, Z840 workstations have the same basic motherboard as a DL380 but are much quieter.
Thanks for the suggestions; noise shouldn't be a big problem, it can stay in its own area away from people, and it has good air circulation.

Reactions: SamirD

The specs you are saying fit a workstation, or even refurbished desktop more than a server. This is cheap and you can add 8GB RAM and a 256SSD and still come in under $700. Is it "heavy duty" no, but with a 10th Gen i7 you get 8c/16t at a higher clock speed than you would with an old server and will be much quieter. https://www.newegg.com/hp-pavilion-tp01-1056-student-home-office/p/N82E16883450532
This CPU would be around 10c/20t or 12c/24t in performance compared to an E5-v2 or v3 at the same clock speeds.

Last edited:
Solution

kanewolf

Titan
You should buy RAM based on the architecture. For example, a Xeon CPU will have either a 3 channel or 4 channel memory controller. So you want either 3 or 4 DIMMs per SOCKET. If you get a dual socket motherboard then you want twice that many. Concrete example: DL380G6 with dual X5670 CPUs -- you want to get memory in multiples of 6 DIMMs. That would generally mean 48GB. A dual socket motherboard requires Windows 10 PRO, Windows server or Linux. Windows home does not support dual sockets.

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD

kanewolf

Titan
A 26xx CPU.

I am now getting an E5-2698; I am still not sure whether I should mount it on the server or put it in a workstation board/case. Any thoughts?
Which version of a E5-2698 ? If it is not a V3 or V4, then those weren't available to public. Therefore they may not be officially supported by commercial motherboards.
Also don't by an ES -- Engineering sample CPU. They are not technically legal to sell.

mrwolf33

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Go with a workstation as it will be quieter.
Not concerned about the noise

Which version of a E5-2698 ? If it is not a V3 or V4, then those weren't available to public. Therefore they may not be officially supported by commercial motherboards.
Also don't by an ES -- Engineering sample CPU. They are not technically legal to sell.
Are there other versions that V3 or V4?