Best setup for gaming TV?

Gartix

Honorable
May 28, 2016
Hi!
I have 55pus7101 4K, 100Hz Philips TV which I bought before a while, and today I tried to connect my PC (1060 6GB, intel 6700K...) and play some Battlefield, but was unplayable, every faster move with cursor cut my picture. Its there any setting which can make it better? or som tips like other HDMI cable or shorter (I have 10 meters) or resolution or anything I can do with it to make games playable? Thanks guyzzz

Solution
10 meters is really long for HDMI. You need either a thick cable (should be about 2 cm diameter at that length), or you need an active HDMI cable (aka Redmere). The problem is the HDMI spec calls for the signal voltage on the individual wires to be rather low. Because HDMI has so many wires (22 if I remember), manufacturers tend to use very thin wires to keep the cable flexible. Unfortunately, thin wires + long distance = voltage drop. And on cable lengths longer than about 6 meters it's common for the voltage to drop enough that it's no longer within spec, and the receiving device cannot detect a signal. When that happens, the picture cuts out.

Thicker cables use thicker wires, which reduces the voltage drop. Redmere cables use...
10 meters is really long for HDMI. You need either a thick cable (should be about 2 cm diameter at that length), or you need an active HDMI cable (aka Redmere). The problem is the HDMI spec calls for the signal voltage on the individual wires to be rather low. Because HDMI has so many wires (22 if I remember), manufacturers tend to use very thin wires to keep the cable flexible. Unfortunately, thin wires + long distance = voltage drop. And on cable lengths longer than about 6 meters it's common for the voltage to drop enough that it's no longer within spec, and the receiving device cannot detect a signal. When that happens, the picture cuts out.

Thicker cables use thicker wires, which reduces the voltage drop. Redmere cables use a converter at the sending end to bump up the signal to a higher voltage before transmitting over the cable, then another converter at the receiving end to lower the voltage back to HDMI spec. There are also optical HDMI cables (converts the signal to optical for the length of the cable), but those are usually for 100+ meters and very expensive.

First thing I'd do is move the PC next to the TV and try connecting it with a short 1 meter cable. If that fixes the problem, then you should try replacing the 10 meter cable with a thicker cable or an active cable. Edit: Also make sure the cable is rated for HDMI 2.0, which you'll need if you intend to use it with 4k video.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS