[SOLVED] Best setup for my three fans?

ADMT

Prominent
May 31, 2020
bzwjclD.jpg

So here's my current fan setup - excuse the mess of cables at the bottom! My question: which of the two fan mounts on the top of the case would be best for an exhaust fan?

Fan C is a 140mm airflow fan that isn't really doing anything in the bottom front fan slot, especially with all the crap in front of it, so I'm planning to make it a top exhaust fan. I'm considering the "New 2" spot because the exposed GPU heatsink below it generates a lot of heat, but I worry placing an exhaust fan before the CPU cooler will negatively impact the airflow path. "New 1" is an option too, but it would be an extremely tight fit between the CPU cooler and the exhaust fan that's already there, if it fits at all. I should also mention that, with the current fan setup, removing the case side panel doesn't lower my temps at all. Thoughts?

Solution
D
Why do you prefer more exhaust than intake fans in this kind of case?
Because of all the obstacles in front of the intake fans. Exhausts are always better at cooling than intakes, because they are right next to the components and they can expel heat faster than the intakes can bring cool air in.

Do use both intakes and exhausts, but in a case like this with obstacles in front of the intakes, combined with a partially closed front, I'd go for more exhausts, such as moving Fan C in the "New 1" slot. Don't place it in the "new 2" slot as it will take cool air from the CPU cooler.
D

Deleted member 2720853

Try to place it on "New 1" if you can. In a case like that, I would go for more exhaust fans than intake. This is also why I prefer mid-tower cases...

bzwjclD.jpg

So here's my current fan setup - excuse the mess of cables at the bottom! My question: which of the two fan mounts on the top of the case would be best for an exhaust fan?

Fan C is a 140mm airflow fan that isn't really doing anything in the bottom front fan slot, especially with all the crap in front of it, so I'm planning to make it a top exhaust fan. I'm considering the "New 2" spot because the exposed GPU heatsink below it generates a lot of heat, but I worry placing an exhaust fan before the CPU cooler will negatively impact the airflow path. "New 1" is an option too, but it would be an extremely tight fit between the CPU cooler and the exhaust fan that's already there, if it fits at all. I should also mention that, with the current fan setup, removing the case side panel doesn't lower my temps at all. Thoughts?
Disconnect New 2 at the top or reverse it to blow in. Right now its taking cool air away from CPU cooler.

ADMT

Prominent
May 31, 2020
Try to place it on "New 1" if you can. In a case like that, I would go for more exhaust fans than intake. This is also why I prefer mid-tower cases...

Disconnect New 2 at the top or reverse it to blow in. Right now its taking cool air away from CPU cooler.
There's nothing at "New 2" right now, but it's a potential spot to mount Fan C. Intake fan at that spot does make sense, although I'm actually looking for lower GPU temps. Even overclocked, the CPU doesn't break 80c during P95. Do you think putting an intake fan there would help GPU temps at all?

There's nothing at "New 2" right now, but it's a potential spot to mount Fan C. Intake fan at that spot does make sense, although I'm actually looking for lower GPU temps. Even overclocked, the CPU doesn't break 80c during P95. Do you think putting an intake fan there would help GPU temps at all?
GPU is too far down to get affected by top fans but some positive pressure in the case may help it expel it's own heat out back.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Because of all the obstacles in front of the intake fans. Exhausts are always better at cooling than intakes, because they are right next to the components and they can expel heat faster than the intakes can bring cool air in.

Do use both intakes and exhausts, but in a case like this with obstacles in front of the intakes, combined with a partially closed front, I'd go for more exhausts, such as moving Fan C in the "New 1" slot. Don't place it in the "new 2" slot as it will take cool air from the CPU cooler.

Solution

ADMT

Prominent
May 31, 2020
GPU is too far down to get affected by top fans but some positive pressure in the case may help it expel it's own heat out back.
Okay thanks!

Yeah all the stuff in the way of the front intake fans is really annoying. It's actually a mesh front, but there's another dust filter after the mesh, and there's all the plastic supports blocking airflow on the interior side. Definitely looking forward to getting a modern case when I build a new PC later this year.