Best silicone paste on delidded CPU?

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017
I plan to delid my 7700k and replacing the TIM. After that I would like to stick the metal piece back on using silicone ( Or something That can be taken back off to get access to the TIM again). I don't know what silicone to buy for the cpu, but if you could give me some recommendations that would be great! Thanks! :D

Solution
It can be a little off, just put the paste on the core only, you'll see when you remove it that it made proper contact, the heat issue with these cpu's isn't just the rubbish Tim they used under the ihs, it's also the glue they used to stick down the ihs, it rides too high and doesn't touch the core properly, once you've delidded, remove all of that black glupe and Intel paste, then you can always do a couple of test runs by applying your Tim, put the ihs back on, press down gently to simulate heatsink and fan pressure, and then remove the ihs again, if you see Tim on the underside of the ihs, you know contact was good, remove the Tim and do it all again.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

I eventually used Cool lab liqud ultra on the core and I then used epoxy to stick mine back down, but had no intensions of ever removing it again, I only put a very tiny little spot on each of the 4 corners of the IHS and placed it down, not sure if you could find something that would allow you to remove it again, but at the same time be strong enough to hold in down securly in the first place and be heat resistant too.

whilst I was waiting for my liqud ultra to arrive I tried with AS5 and Noctua thermal paste, the AS5 worked better out of the 2, best bet if you plan on removing it again in the future is lay your computer down and just to place the bear CPU in the socket, apply the paste very carefully to the core, gently place the IHS on top, and use the retention bracket to hold it in place.

TheMajesticBurger

Commendable
May 2, 2017

I worry that the Liquid metal may dry, since I have seen some reports about that. And if I used that glue, I don't think I can take the metal piece off again.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Thats why I say, if you want to ever remove the IHS again, dont glue it down, just use the socket retention bracket to hold it down on top of the CPU and lock it into place.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Lay your computer on its side, place the bear cpu in the socket, and very gently place the ihs on top of the cpu, as you close the retention bracket to hold it all in place, put one finger with your other hand on the ihs to stop it from moving, the retention bracket will hold everything in place, then just add your regular thermal pastes to the top of the ihs and stick your heatsink and fan or waterblock on top, whatever you're using.

Ihs is integrated heat spreader, the pice of metal your taking off to get to the core.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
It can be a little off, just put the paste on the core only, you'll see when you remove it that it made proper contact, the heat issue with these cpu's isn't just the rubbish Tim they used under the ihs, it's also the glue they used to stick down the ihs, it rides too high and doesn't touch the core properly, once you've delidded, remove all of that black glupe and Intel paste, then you can always do a couple of test runs by applying your Tim, put the ihs back on, press down gently to simulate heatsink and fan pressure, and then remove the ihs again, if you see Tim on the underside of the ihs, you know contact was good, remove the Tim and do it all again.

Solution

Majkel133

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
For those who want to do "scalping" cpu:

Silicon: UHU Hochtemperatur Silikonk 80ml
Tool: der8auer Delid Die Mate 2
Paste: Thermal Grizzly conductonaut 73 W/M
Pads: Thermal Grizzly Liquid Metal Applicator
1 toothpick for shashlik to apply silicone on IHS
Isopropyl Alcohol (I use by Hexeal)
Sharp knife or scalpel, something to remove old silicone