Best Single Slot Video Card?

PorStaker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
So I just asked this in another thread that I posted, but maybe I can get some more help if I title the thread exactly what I want to ask instead of hijacking my own.

I just received a Dell XPS 8300 in the mail a week ago and really want to play some great games on Ultra resolution. I game I specifically have in mind is StarCraft 2, maybe even a FPS like Crysis. I only have a single slot, but space does not seem to be too limited.

A shot of the inside of the case per another thread:

XPS 8300

Any help is fabulous.

I think I will go for one of the two cards here:

or

Unless I get a note of recommendation soon.

THANKS!

randomkid

Distinguished

No, it will not. The video card fan will face downward away from your processor.

I guess you do not really mean you need a single slot video card but what you mean is that your motherboard only have 1 (single) PCIe slot and can accommodate only 1 video card.

So, therefore, you can install any video card that you like ( dual slot is okay ) and it will fit in your motherboard. In fact, the picture that you shared already have a dual slot video card.

Now, if you want to play on Ultra, the 6770 will not be enough if you have a 1920x1080 resolution specially for crysis.

Do avoid any assumption, please let us know the resolution of your monitor & if you have any intention to game using multiple monitor ( Eyefinity ).

PorStaker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
OMG RandomKid, this is how newb I am. You just became my best friend. I didn't realize the cards would go into my system with the board ontop and all those things facing toward the bottom of the case!

So it looks like I can get one of the double layer cards, I can get pretty much any card I want that will be able to be powered with the 460W supply I have...

PorStaker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I think these are the specs you want, it is a Samsung Syncmaster T240HD, any video card will do good with it right?

Screen Size 24" Wide
Resolution 1920 x 1200
Brightness 300cd/m²
Contrast Ratio DC 10000:1 (Typ 1000:1)
Response time 5ms
Viewing Angle(Horizontal/Vertical) 160˚/160˚ (CR>10)
Color Supported 16.7M
Signal Input
Video Signal Analog RGB, DVI, HDMI, Component, TV (Digital TV / Analog TV)
Sync. Signal Separate H/V, Composite
Connector 15pin D-sub, DVI-D, 2HDMI, Component, DTV Tuner, Optical Out

randomkid

Distinguished
^The 1920x1200 resolution of your monitor will put a heavy demand on your video card so it must be at least middle end ( HD5770/6770). But regretfully, these cards will also need a good PSU & I doubt whether your Dell PSU will be good. Remember it is not intended to supply a discrete video card with PCIe power requirement.

However it may be able to support such cards as HD5670 or 6670 which do not require PCIe power cable. But it can only play in 1920x1200 with lowered detail in most games. Maybe good but not "ultra".

So, if your budget is really limited to <$100, then the HD5670 or 6670 is for you. Done Deal.

But if you want great 1920x1200 with high settings and willing to spend around $60-80 for the power supply & $120-$200 for the video card, then it is another story and this thread will go on...

You decide. :)

randomkid

Distinguished

Sorry, I did not notice that you posted this. It looks like you do have the PCIe power cables so it appears Dell gave some provision for upgrade. In this case, you may get an HD5770 or HD6770.

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

its better to check the psu specs before upgrading

PorStaker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Hey MJ: It is a 460W PSU that is said to peak at over 500W due to Dell's quality vs. a generic PSU. I only have the one cable with two connectors on it that randomkid quoted about right under your message.

Randomkid: Good to know, these cards will probably do what I want them to I assume? I started looking at PSUs and came across a good deal for a 750W but don't know how to tell if it will fit in my system. I wish I could find the dimensions of my current PSU.

PorStaker

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011

You must want more information than just the wattage, but I am not sure what you are asking me for. The computer is a Dell XPS 8300, with said wattage. I can open up the computer and get whatever information you'd like.

So nice having people that know what they are doing at your fingertips. Thanks for the help.

randomkid

Distinguished

The way I see it, you do not need a new Power Supply. But to be sure, you can open up the case, and check the PSU. You should find some printed information on it that appears like this:
psuspecs.png