Status
Not open for further replies.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hello,
I am running a Core i3 540 and normal RAM (i.e. not high, no heat spreaders or anything). I need a better CPU cooler than the stock so I can overclock a bit. My case is the QoRi M103-A11. It has this strange tube/funnel apparatus over the CPU cooler, and I think it's supposed to direct airflow.

So, I need a good CPU cooler for overclocking that fits LGA1156, is relatively short, and is easy to install without removing the motherboard.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

I own the noctua nh-l12. I've been satisfied with it. It cools my 3570k very nicely. Even at 4.2 ghz.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Noctua_NH-L12

socialfox

Distinguished
You should be able to remove the funnel by removing the screws securing it to the side panel. I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper TX-3 for an effective CPU cooler that's small and does not need to have a back-plate installed. Also could you give me a link to your computer case, I can't seem to find a page in english. I guess its by some small company?

socialfox

Distinguished
Can you measure the distance from the retention clips to the funnel? While I will be looking up for some small CPU coolers, think you may have to go old school and get the coolers that sit on the CPU completely and have a fan that lines up with the funnel and draws air from it.

Update: Compatible coolers with your case that can be the Noctua NH-L12 (high end low profile cooler) and the Zalman CNPS8900 Extreme however I do not know any Intel coolers that are low profile and mount without a backplate, these coolers use backplates. Installing a back plate is not as hard as it seems.

naama

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

I own the noctua nh-l12. I've been satisfied with it. It cools my 3570k very nicely. Even at 4.2 ghz.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Noctua_NH-L12

Solution

naama

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012

Yes, at least for my socket 1155 mobo it required a backplate. It was easy installing it.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the Noctua. It turns out that the funnel might be removable, but it might not even get in the way. If it does, I can remove the top fan.

As for the backplate, I might be in luck, as both side panels are removable. Therefore, I have easy access to the back of the mobo without removing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.