[SOLVED] Best software for video screen capture

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with using video screen capture software either on a smart TV or computer wich would be best advanced TV directly connect via hdmi cable to media center

If so wich would be best to capture in 4k or maybe even if able capture content that only comes in 1080p and upscale it Profesionaly to 4k using AI gaming hardware and such?

What programs would I need do any screen captures do this if not....

what's a good screen capture program paid or free dont matter more than willing to pay for software if is superior

And if possible as I get some content that only comes in 1080p like cable ect is there a program to upscale it I know the TV already does that but wonder if could do better with right hardware and software

Last edited:
Solution
Was wondering if anyone has any experience with using video screen capture software either on a smart TV or computer wich would be best advanced TV directly connect via hdmi cable to media center

If so wich would be best to capture in 4k or maybe even if able capture content that only comes in 1080p and upscale it Profesionaly to 4k using AI gaming hardware and such?

what's a good screen capture program paid or free dont matter more than willing to pay for software if is superior

And if possible as I get some content that only comes in 1080p like cable ect is there a program to upscale it I know the TV already does that but wonder if could do better with right...

kanewolf

Titan

And if possible as I get some content that only comes in 1080p like cable ect is there a program to upscale it I know the TV already does that but wonder if could do better with right hardware and software
What are you trying to capture? Game play? Streamed media? Over the air TV?
The best answer is a hardware capture device because PCs don't have video input ports by default.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Streaming/digital content don't need a cable port I know can find answers on the web but I find when it comes to software lot of software is just junk less you know what software works well ect

More or less would like to find some good reputable screen capture software. And if anyone happens to have experience with up scaling stuff on a computer Kool what software is good for that or is there software that does both

But decent some good screen capture software for streaming/digital software would be a good start

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Streaming/digital content don't need a cable port I know can find answers on the web but I find when it comes to software lot of software is just junk less you know what software works well ect

More or less would like to find some good reputable screen capture software. And if anyone happens to have experience with up scaling stuff on a computer Kool what software is good for that or is there software that does both

But decent some good screen capture software for streaming/digital software would be a good start
The problem is the copy protection on streaming media. It is purposly difficult.
Recording it also violates the terms of service.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I was going to say or just connect an external drive to the TV and use built in software or apps if that's easyer but if so what app?

As to ur answer yeah OK maybe for some stuff but I don't think they'd build it into the TV if was entirely true since covid people screen capture or maybe screen recording is the more appropriate term but anyways all things digital you tube ain't game streets ect arnt protected far as I know yeah maybe somthin like Starz but that don't mean people don't do it

Like ordering vape juice eciggeret juice through usps it's not allowed however it isn't illigal is the companies preference however is shipped in the mail all the time unless is law idc its on my screen samsung even provides a basic app for it

But back to my. Point not all content is encrypted most is not only premium services even then is fair game far as I'm concerned for personal use*

Anyways does anyone have experience with screen recording software or is it easyer to just plug an external hard drive to the TV and use the built in screen recorder

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I was going to say or just connect an external drive to the TV and use built in software or apps if that's easyer but if so what app?

As to ur answer yeah OK maybe for some stuff but I don't think they'd build it into the TV if was entirely true since covid people screen capture or maybe screen recording is the more appropriate term but anyways all things digital you tube ain't game streets ect arnt protected far as I know yeah maybe somthin like Starz but that don't mean people don't do it
You can't screencapture from a TV.

You can maybe intercept from the source.
But if it is on an external drive, you already have it.

I've interpreted your question as 'I intend to record TV for my own personal use in accordance with the law'.

If you have your content on an external drive though not sure why you need screen capture software. However a good screen capture program is OBS Studio. In terms of upscaling video files the best software out there in my view is Topaz Video Enhance AI, I've had excellent results upscaling old DVD boxsets. You should be warned though, doing so in a timely manner requires a powerful GPU and CPU.

Solution

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah I seen the topaz software think I asked bout it once before is pretty expinsive though wonder if there's any software like that that offers a trial version as I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to complicated stuff like I believe obs is very complex but I may go ahead and try it out as I think they offer a free trial or somthin

Superior quality is good are there any other software programs like that that offer a free trial to AI up scaling?

Yeah I seen the topaz software think I asked bout it once before is pretty expinsive though wonder if there's any software like that that offers a trial version as I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to complicated stuff like I believe obs is very complex but I may go ahead and try it out as I think they offer a free trial or somthin

Superior quality is good are there any other software programs like that that offer a free trial to AI up scaling?
OBS has lots of options but it's not that complex once you get into it, OBS is also a free open source app. I'm not aware of any free software that you can run on your local machine that does what Topaz does, DVD Fab also has an AI based video enhancer but that's still a paid for product and Topaz is better imo. I would try the trial of Topaz and see what you think.

What sort of result you get does largely depend on what you put in, in my case DVD's are of reasonable quality they are just low resolution so the result has been quite good but your mileage may vary. If you need a good free video editor I would recommend DaVinci Resolve.

I don't entirely agree asking questions seeing what the options are doesn't actualy mean anyone plans on doing anything but anyways sure might be a Grey area but then again why do they make vcrs or dvr

And to the best of my knowledge screen capture or screen recording not sure wich is built into windows 10 as well as audio recording so I'd assume is built into the TV now I might not entirely be correct but am pretty sure is a function of the device just a basic function

Anyways guess this isn't the best forum to ask questions bout entertainment audio video ect
Recording TV is legal in the USA and UK, for the most part you can do what you like. There are just certain limits like you can't share it online for example. As you say, you can go buy a PVR from Amazon now and plug it into your TV and start recording.

The only Windows 10 recording feature I'm aware of is part of the Xbox Game Bar. That wouldn't be appropriate in this context. Some Smart TV's do have a built in recording function so you don't need a separate PVR however I've never used one.

You can get PCI-E digital TV tuners that can let you record TV but I haven't used anything like that in a very long time.

kanewolf

Titan
Recording TV is legal in the USA and UK, for the most part you can do what you like.
Over the air, that is true. Cable is typically encrypted. You can get TV tuner cards which will support cablecard decryption but the cable company support for cable cards is spotty.
Streaming media (Netflix, Apple+, etc) are all encrypted to the app.
I know of no TV with build-in video capture capabilities. That would violate the HDCP protocol.