Best solution for GPU fan replacment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I have a Gigabyte 6850 (this design)
gigabyte-6850-front.jpg

The rear fan has started making noise and is running slower then front one. I suspect it is on its way out. I am looking for the best and cheapest solution to my problem.

My GPU is still under warranty so I could send it in for service but between shipping costs and service time (I have read 1 month+ total time [shipping & service] is not uncommon) I am not sure that is the best route. I use this pc daily and do not have a gpu backup to hold me over.

I have found an exact fan replacement on ebay for $12 with an estimated shipping time of 1 month (out of China). I could probably limp this along until the fan arrived but I have read that these gigabyte fans made by everflow just do not seem to be very durable, hence my current situation.

Or I could take the shroud off and replace my fans with aftermarket fans and jerryrig them onto the heatsink (zip ties? lol). I have seen others take this route but am unsure on how well it really works.

I realize that ultimately an aftermarket vga cooling kit would be the best solution but they are just to expensive for my unemployed self. I would like to keep total cost under $20.

What solution do you think would be best for my situation?

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

They are 75mm but require a 40mm space for screw hole alignment (like below) for attachment without modding.

R62-2.jpg

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Thank you all, I have resolved the issue.

I ordered a replacement fan off ebay for about $12.50 shipping included. It was the exact same model fan the only difference was the sticker, the original said gigabyte and the replacement says ATI which doesn't matter to me. Shipping time was better then expected and only took about 10 days. I am happy with the result.

Baralis

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

The fan its self is simple on my model, 3 screws and it comes lose. I regularly loosen them to clean the dust out with a toothbrush however disconnecting the power plug was a bit more difficult. No clear access path was present and it took a bit of manipulation to get the old one unplugged and the new one plugged in. Overall it wasn't bad, probably a 15 minute task most of which is the power plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.