Question best solution for home PC backup

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
hello

currently i do simple drag/drop backups for my desktop PC using 2 portable hard drives which i rotate to remote locations.
while this is simple and basic as we all know the issue here is doing this with consistency.

i am looking for a simple way to keep a another drive connected to the desktop and have it backup any new or modified files automatically with regularity.
i am only interested in my current/working files and dont care about previous/older versions. a complete backup/copy of the hard drive option would also be nice but its not my priority.

i know there are various options out there. i am not interested in cloud/remote/subscription services at the moment.
i see windows 7-10 has a backup utility but i have never used it so dont know if its an unreliable nuisance.
i also see some external drives come with backup software but again i dont know if that's difficult or unreliable.

just looking to keep it simple without cloud subscription services
thanks in advance for any advice.

Tanyac

Reputable
I use Macrium Reflect. I can do filer/folder backups and images. I can take those disk images real time.
File/Folder backups support Full, Differential and Incremental backups. You can customize how many iterations of each back up to keep. Whilst cloud is supported, it's optional. It has a powerful scheduler which allows you to customize how often you run backups, if it should automatically run missed backups (say if power is out when a backup was scheduled). backup destinations also include external, local and network locations.

It's not free though. One PC $69.95 for the home version which is all you need. a 4Licence pack is $139.95.

Will take you probably an hour to set it up and get going. After that, it's pretty much set and forget.

I'm guessing you don't have the time to spend researching the various options, which is why you asked here. But if you do feel inclined to doing some research he's somewhere to start.. https://financesonline.com/top-20-backup-software-solutions/

Another good thing with Macrium Reflect is the rapid delta restore. If you need to restore your whole hard drive from an image, it can litterally be done in less than a few minutes, depending on the amount of difference between the backup and the existing disk content.

Reactions: ktriebol

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
thanks

i am running windows7
robocopy looks intimidating as i am afraid ill make some sort of mistake?

in the interim i am using the windows "backup" utility
i am not crazy about it but at least its something.
it seems to be one of those "general ancillary" programs that leave users who want to delve into particulars lacking answers.
it seems the backup is stored as a system type of file, in other words you cant just click on it to see the contents, number of files and folders etc. i do not see a setting that specifies to only save the most recent files and erase the older?

The problem with automated backup and no old generation archiving is.... what happens if during the day a Ransomware sneaks in and and scrambles your critical data files? your automated backup has no way of knowing this, replaces your old but good backups with now corrupted files dutifully at its scheduled time, by the time you find out, it's too late.

OS imaging with all settings is highly recommended 'cuz that's the only sure fire way to RESTORE your system to a known, good state quickly without spending unGodly time you don't have to run a virus clean, and u don't need to do this everyday, just once before a major update. Ya, this guy recommends don't let Microsoft upgrade you automatically, I know you want things easy. Every day people post "how come all of a sudden my PC... when I haven't done anything?"

ktriebol

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
I use Macrium Reflect. I can do filer/folder backups and images. I can take those disk images real time.
File/Folder backups support Full, Differential and Incremental backups. You can customize how many iterations of each back up to keep. Whilst cloud is supported, it's optional. It has a powerful scheduler which allows you to customize how often you run backups, if it should automatically run missed backups (say if power is out when a backup was scheduled). backup destinations also include external, local and network locations.

It's not free though. One PC $69.95 for the home version which is all you need. a 4Licence pack is $139.95.

Will take you probably an hour to set it up and get going. After that, it's pretty much set and forget.

I'm guessing you don't have the time to spend researching the various options, which is why you asked here. But if you do feel inclined to doing some research he's somewhere to start.. https://financesonline.com/top-20-backup-software-solutions/

Another good thing with Macrium Reflect is the rapid delta restore. If you need to restore your whole hard drive from an image, it can litterally be done in less than a few minutes, depending on the amount of difference between the backup and the existing disk content.

I also use Macrium Reflect and have found it to be very professionally done. It will easily do the backup tasks the OP describes as well as Clone, etc. You don't have to pay for Macrium Reflect either. I use the free version. It can be downloaded here:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree