BEST SOLUTION posted when there is only 1 solution

crooked windows

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
what gives when a BS is selected only minutes after the Question was asked? as well as it being the ONLY reply at the time.
I suggest that there is a 7 day lock or 20 reply posts (which ever comes first) to prevent new members racking up a quota and making a mockery of the site. 1st reply being the best just does not compute , (Ironical its a computer site) :pfff:

Solution
This is an issue that has been continually raised and re raised.
Before the new forum came on line last year people generally taken as a percentage of the whole forum didn't bother with selecting a best answer.
The new forum allows members other than the OP and the moderators, who have a minimum of 5 best answers credited to them to select answers as the best answer within a thread.
The idea is that others such as yourself will select the best answers where your knowledge allows you to do so and when they see an issue as said flag down a moderator to investigate the BA.
In this way the forum ends up with a higher ratio of questions answered to a higher degree of accuracy.

Mactronix

I wouldn't worry much about it; It is not like you're gaining any money by getting a Best Solution.

Yea I agree. I notice i was getting all these best answer selections like crazy a while back. Looks like a Mod went though and just picked what HE though was the best answer and not what the orginal poster though it was which is how i think it should be.

Lee-m

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
If that solution fixed their problem then fair enough. You could get 10 workable solutions in 7 days and none of them be the true best answer.

Having said that it is a little annoying when no answer is selected.
You all make valid points tho. But most ppl asking the questions dont even read the forum rules anyway, lets alone come back after 7 days to pick or change the right answer.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
You could, most absolutely, receive a Best Answer for a singular post in response to a user's question. Someone asking for a very specific answer on a given driver, or where X is located in system files, or how to do something covered clearly in a tutorial on the site are valid examples of post responses that could be the only ones in a thread and still very much applicable to the "Best Answer" flag.

The OP and Moderators have the final say in this, of course.

-JP

crooked windows

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2013
yeah theres alot of fly by nighters but it sort of made me laugh when there was only one suggestion and it being the best. best from what? . it was not a singular answer to the question but asking for help on guidance for a first build and what to use for a fixed sum of money. Should have hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" in Google Search.lol

randomizer

Champion
Was it the OP who selected it or someone else? If it was the OP, it may well have given them the information they were after. Having said that, I've also seen cases where the first response received the BA without really providing any meaningful information. The system is not bulletproof because it depends on human interaction, and some people are lazy and/or "trigger"-happy. Statistically it appears that it works more often than it doesn't, but as always the negative cases are more obvious.

Yea like i just got a Best Solution Answer for something that shouldn't have even been picked. Someone posted My Android Tabled Went Black after Changing resloutions.

I just posted. Really? Why do people post stupid stuff that isn't even real?

Did that about a week ago. Just got a Best Solution for that answer -_- Its like I don't mike moving up in the ranks of Best Solutions but really? I don't want to be picked for something that ISN"T even a solution. That thread should have just been deleted. I've noticed the Phone/Android Forum gets spammed a lot.

This is an issue that has been continually raised and re raised.
Before the new forum came on line last year people generally taken as a percentage of the whole forum didn't bother with selecting a best answer.
The new forum allows members other than the OP and the moderators, who have a minimum of 5 best answers credited to them to select answers as the best answer within a thread.
The idea is that others such as yourself will select the best answers where your knowledge allows you to do so and when they see an issue as said flag down a moderator to investigate the BA.
In this way the forum ends up with a higher ratio of questions answered to a higher degree of accuracy.

Mactronix

Solution