[SOLVED] Best Solution to upgrade CPU and MOBO?

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
Hey everyone.. I’m considering upgrading my PC, but as usual, I’m not sure if it’s a good idea right now or what to go for exactly.

I am happy with my GTX 1070 Ti for the time being, but what I’m mostly wondering about upgrading is my CPU and MOBO, and anything else that might be recommended with those.

Current CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56500 Desktop Processor Intel

Current MOBO: MSI B150M Pro-VD LGA 1151 Intel B150 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Current PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode

Approximate Purchase Date: Id like to upgrade within a month or two, or really whatever makes sense for my needs/what is suggested .

Budget Range: Seeing as I’m not a super hardcore gamer but do mostly use it for gaming (mainly Overwatch), I’m thinking $500 ish total, but that’s flexible.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies.

Are you buying a monitor: No
Currently Have: MSI Optix MAG24C 24 inch 1ms 144hz Full HD Curved Gaming Monitor with Adaptive AMD Free Sync and Wide LED Anti-Glare Screen 1920 x 1080p (I know the AMD Free Sync is wasted on me)

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, MOBO

Do you need to buy OS: I don’t think so, I got the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 a while back. I’m not really sure if I’ll be able to use it again. I think I have a key somewhere...

Parts Preferences: Intel, i7 would be cool unless it’s not necessary. Not sure about cooling. Don’t care too much on MOBO brand. Nothing too cheaply made.

Overclocking: Unlikely/Could be swayed

SLI or Crossfire: Unlikely/Could be swayed

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Why Are You Upgrading: I don’t really have a great reason other than It’s been 4 years since my last CPU and MOBO purchase. Also, the MOBO was cheap and I’d like something a little nicer with more room for things, my case can hold a reg. ATX, even though I don’t really do things like SLI or m.2. I could be swayed to wait buying anything as well if it makes sense to wait for the newest Intel chips to become more common in not-too-expensive MOBOs (I know they require a different port or w/e for the CPU).

Solution
A little bit over but would be a solid upgrade.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($334.89 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $518.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 18:20 EDT-0400

While 2400mhz is a bit slow you could reuse it which would allow for a better cooler and be under budget.

PCPartPicker Part...

WildCard999

Titan

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)

While 2400mhz is a bit slow you could reuse it which would allow for a better cooler and be under budget.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $494.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 18:22 EDT-0400

Solution
Why Are You Upgrading: I don’t really have a great reason other than It’s been 4 years since my last CPU and MOBO purchase. Also, the MOBO was cheap and I’d like something a little nicer with more room for things, my case can hold a reg. ATX, even though I don’t really do things like SLI or m.2. I could be swayed to wait buying anything as well if it makes sense to wait for the newest Intel chips to become more common in not-too-expensive MOBOs (I know they require a different port or w/e for the CPU).

So really you don't need to change anything. I'd look at upgrading mouse/keyboard/audio before a CPU and motherboard you don't need to upgrade aside from just wanting to spend money on something. Your monitor is pretty good or that would go into an upgrade list also.

You said you wanted a motherboard with more room for things, what things?

Unless your CPU is almost maxed out doing the things you do, you can keep whatever you have now. Spending $500, or even 100 when your system runs things without issues is not a smart move. Once you have an actual idea about exactly why an upgrade is good to do then you can start looking at what to get. There are a lot better things to spend money on than a CPU upgrade you don't need.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $494.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 18:22 EDT-0400
Thank you! I’m not sure I want to go with another Micro MOBO though. Part of the reason is it feels like my graphics card barely hangs on and it takes up any space to add anything later. Is there a regular ATX you’d recommend?
What CPU cooler do you currently have? Maybe you can reuse that too.
I’m actually just using the Intel provided fan >_>;
So really you don't need to change anything. I'd look at upgrading mouse/keyboard/audio before a CPU and motherboard you don't need to upgrade aside from just wanting to spend money on something. Your monitor is pretty good or that would go into an upgrade list also.

You said you wanted a motherboard with more room for things, what things?

Unless your CPU is almost maxed out doing the things you do, you can keep whatever you have now. Spending $500, or even 100 when your system runs things without issues is not a smart move. Once you have an actual idea about exactly why an upgrade is good to do then you can start looking at what to get. There are a lot better things to spend money on than a CPU upgrade you don't need.
You’re not wrong. My other stuff is is actually pretty solid right now though. Like I said before, my graphics card takes up all the slot space on my current MOBO. Also if I DID get more into using my PC and wanted to add something.. idk. I just like having my options open I guess.
The OPs current i5-6500 is a locked 4c/4t CPU. For modern games (especially online) that can be a limiter.
I’ve wondered this, is using more cores the way it’s going for games? I know it’s not so simple but I’ve always thought the graphics card was more important.

You’re not wrong. My other stuff is is actually pretty solid right now though. Like I said before, my graphics card takes up all the slot space on my current MOBO. Also if I DID get more into using my PC and wanted to add something.. idk. I just like having my options open I guess.

OK, so what would you want to add that will take up a PCIe slot? Most things you would add on to a computer are external through USB. I'd recommend a monitor upgrade except yours is already pretty good, what do you have for other peripherals? A nicer headset is a better improvement than a CPU that won't help you or a motherboard for some theoretical upgrade you may never do. For your budget you can get an excellent sound card and headphone setup, maybe a nice mechanical keyboard, or all three. You will probably enjoy those more. Say these https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones or the 6xx if you don't care to wait a bit to get them, https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones , DAC/AMP https://drop.com/buy/drop-o2-sdac-dac-amp , https://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1 , https://www.schiit.com/products/hel those last 2 have a mic in also for a full headset use, this keyboard https://drop.com/buy/drop-alt-mechanical-keyboard#overview , etc...

Last edited:
What all are you planning to add to the expansion slots? On that mATX board, a WiFi card in the x1 slot (as long as you don't have a >2 slot GPU, something in the bottom x16 slot (not sure what), and what else?

This is the exact problem with ATX these days. Nobody needs or uses all the slots anyway.

Hyozans

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2015
OK, so what would you want to add that will take up a PCIe slot? Most things you would add on to a computer are external through USB. I'd recommend a monitor upgrade except yours is already pretty good, what do you have for other peripherals? A nicer headset is a better improvement than a CPU that won't help you or a motherboard for some theoretical upgrade you may never do. For your budget you can get an excellent sound card and headphone setup, maybe a nice mechanical keyboard, or all three. You will probably enjoy those more. Say these https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones or the 6xx if you don't care to wait a bit to get them, https://drop.com/buy/drop-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones , DAC/AMP https://drop.com/buy/drop-o2-sdac-dac-amp , https://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1 , https://www.schiit.com/products/hel those last 2 have a mic in also for a full headset use, this keyboard https://drop.com/buy/drop-alt-mechanical-keyboard#overview , etc...
Well the my graphics card technically takes up 2 spots but actually 3 with its sheer size. The main thing I would probably consider in the future is an SSD that is PCIe. I get what you’re saying though, however I did just get a new headset and keyboard not long ago. I’m not sure I need a sound card.. I’m a little jaded towards them because I had an old one that gave me BSODs in the past - took me forever to figure out haha. I may end up deciding not to upgrade, I can appreciate the points you’re making.

What all are you planning to add to the expansion slots? On that mATX board, a WiFi card in the x1 slot (as long as you don't have a >2 slot GPU, something in the bottom x16 slot (not sure what), and what else?

This is the exact problem with ATX these days. Nobody needs or uses all the slots anyway.
Yeah it basically takes up 3 spots.. not home atm but I just don’t see the point in getting a micro when I have the space for the regular and the cost isn’t much different. Is there a benefit to having a micro when my case size isn’t changing?

Well the my graphics card technically takes up 2 spots but actually 3 with its sheer size. The main thing I would probably consider in the future is an SSD that is PCIe. I get what you’re saying though, however I did just get a new headset and keyboard not long ago. I’m not sure I need a sound card.. I’m a little jaded towards them because I had an old one that gave me BSODs in the past - took me forever to figure out haha. I may end up deciding not to upgrade, I can appreciate the points you’re making.

If you were going to spend 500 upgrading a system for no real reason then spending money to own more than one keyboard or headset is not odd LOL

I own like 4-5-6 of each, they all feel and sound different. Two 60-65% keyboards with Gateron Optical Red (one for my main computer and a second for my work laptop on the same L shaped table at home), a Leopold TKL with MX Red (currently at my work office), Logitec TKL with Romer G, a couple of Razer keyboards I got for like $20, a cheap green switch keyboard my daughter used for a while, and have one more 65% one coming with Gateron Brown switches. Same thing for headphones, they all sound different for different flavors of audio. An external USB sound card will have no issues, nor will any newer internal card. I'm going to guess your headset is not of the same quality as the audiophile ones I linked so that's is not money wasted at all.