[SOLVED] Best Sound Option

Feb 7, 2020
Hello,
i have Asus Prime H-270 plus with integrated Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
My current setup is PC to TV with HDMI - TV to Receiver with optical. Default playback device - AMD High definiton Audio. Im getting DTS and DD from movies but not from games. I get only 2.1 there. I Read that this option is only Passtrough and no encoding options, becasue its not going trought the ALC887.
I have 3 pin header on the MB with option to connect SPDIF out, so my setup will be: PC to Receiver with Optical. Default device Realtek Digital output with more settings on it. I just have to buy the cable.
Will the SPIDF option make my games play in 5.1? I read there is also possibility for unlocking Realtek drivers for DTS Live encoding and so on.
My receiver has no HDMI inputs for sound.

Last edited:
Solution
It depends on the inputs on your receiver. Optical and digital coax can carry compressed 5.1 (like DTS) or uncompressed stereo. You would need a sound card with "DTS Connect" or "Dolby Digital Live" compression. Even then it doesn't seem to work all the time. I have also heard of software that does DTS compression. Downside of a software solution is that it uses your CPU.

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If you have multiple HDMI outputs on your video card, try plugging one into your receiver. Don't use the passthrough to the monitor ... receiver HDMI passthrough is setup for TVs and does not always play well with monitors (resolution / frequency issues).
It depends on the inputs on your receiver. Optical and digital coax can carry compressed 5.1 (like DTS) or uncompressed stereo. You would need a sound card with "DTS Connect" or "Dolby Digital Live" compression. Even then it doesn't seem to work all the time. I have also heard of software that does DTS compression. Downside of a software solution is that it uses your CPU.

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs? If you have multiple HDMI outputs on your video card, try plugging one into your receiver. Don't use the passthrough to the monitor ... receiver HDMI passthrough is setup for TVs and does not always play well with monitors (resolution / frequency issues).

Solution
Feb 7, 2020

No HDMI inputs. Sound is integrated Realtek® ALC887 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC