Best sounding headphones for gaming

_Valla_

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hello! I have used gaming headsets for 4 years now and I want something better sounding. I've just got a new desk mic and I want headphones with out mic. I would prefer wireless since I don't have anywhere where to hide the cable, but I am willing to go wired if have to. I was thinking about using Razers Surround program to make them surround sound. My budget is about 120 euros.

Shoomer

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
If you're going to be using a desk mike then get a pair of Hi-Fi headphones rather than "surround sound" gaming phones. Almost invariably the surround sound is simulated and generally sucks. Consider if you want open or closed back. Open generally sound better but aren't great if you share a room (they leak sound)

Suggestions.. (sorry prices in £'s but it'll give you rough idea)

AKG Y50 (closed) ~£70
Grado SR80e (open) ~£89 < sound amazing for the price
Sennheiser HD 559 (open) ~89 <great all rounders

I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD series, but they plateau around the HD650. These are a bit out of the price range, but the other models in that series are also good. If you want something comparable to the HD650s, but at a lower price, the Beyerdynamic DT880s are a good choice.

If the budget isn't there for those more expensive headphones, I second Shoomer's recommendations, particularly the HD559s.

_Valla_

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017

Hey thanks for your suggestations! I would prefer closed headphones, since my pc's fans can get a little loud at times and my sisters aren't the most silent thing in the world either. But the AKG Y50's aren't going to cut it because of their desing. I was thinking about the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, but I don't know should I get the 32, 80 or 250 ohm version. (The 250 Ohm version is 4 euros more expensive) Those all will go less than 20 euros over my budget. Would any of them be good? And would I need a amp to drive those 250 Ohm versions?

Better sounding is highly subjective. To me better sounding would be a good pair of studio monitors. To get an accurate reproduction of the in game audio. Rather than something which tweaks the levels. The idea being you hear what the original audio engineers heard.

My personal preference would be the Sony MDR-7506.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000AJIF4E/

The Sennheiser HD280pro are also very well reputed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000065BPB/

DT 770 Pro is an excellent choice, I would stick with the 32 ohm they are the most versatile - can use on phone / tablet / pc just about any device. Yes you will need an amp for the 250 ohm and yes will sound better with HD sources like FLAC, but for general purpose use for movies / games / streaming music 32 is the best choice.

Surround has many options - Windows Sonic, most Realtek on-board sounds you can enable it, Razer surround as you mentioned even the free version is also good, even games have built-in surround with "headphone" option in the sound settings. Just don't use more than one surround at a time, if you enable more than one it will sound terrible. It does sound very good when done right, and the game / movie is properly encoded.

Personally I am using a Sound Blaster Play!3 with SBX (adjustable to your liking) with a Samson SR850 and a Zalman ZM-Mic1 as my headset.