Best SSD for gaming

zdtaft

Reputable
Sep 29, 2018
So with the holiday season iv e been picking up components for my new pc build.this will be my first. after much research I m still not for sure which type of SSD would be best suited for my mainly gaming pc.m sata,nvme,2.5,3.5.not for sure which would be the best bang for the buck.i ve saw where the nvme is supposed to be the best but not quite sure if that's so for me.the motherboard I m hoping to pic up this week is the rog strip z390 e.thanks ahead of time for the response!

Solution
The best SSD for gaming, is any SSD.

NVME PCI M.2 drives aren't really going to offer you anything beyond what a standard SATA SSD offers, when it comes to gaming, EXCEPT perhaps slightly faster map, level or texture loading and even then it's probably not going to be a huge difference and is only going to BE a difference if the game files are actually stored ON the NVME or SSD drive.

If you have an SSD with the OS on it but your game files are stored on a secondary hard drive, you won't see any advantage at ALL from having an SSD. Now if you have the files stored ON the SSD along with the OS, or you have TWO solid state drives and one of them has your game files on it, then you will see some pickup in loading those files by you...
The best SSD for gaming, is any SSD.

NVME PCI M.2 drives aren't really going to offer you anything beyond what a standard SATA SSD offers, when it comes to gaming, EXCEPT perhaps slightly faster map, level or texture loading and even then it's probably not going to be a huge difference and is only going to BE a difference if the game files are actually stored ON the NVME or SSD drive.

If you have an SSD with the OS on it but your game files are stored on a secondary hard drive, you won't see any advantage at ALL from having an SSD. Now if you have the files stored ON the SSD along with the OS, or you have TWO solid state drives and one of them has your game files on it, then you will see some pickup in loading those files by you won't ever gain any FPS from a fast drive.

I'd recommend going with whatever size you feel you works best for you in one of the Samsung 850 or 860 EVO models, Crucial MX models or Sandisk Ultra II models. Even one of the less expensive SSDs is probably fine if you need a larger one and can find a good deal on it.

What is your budget for an SSD and what size are you looking to go with?

Solution