Best SSD for MSI GX-640

drums101

Distinguished
Ok so I am looking to replace my harddrive in my MSI-GX640 laptop. I originally replaced it with an OCZ vertex 2 120gb ssd. Great drive but for some reason the laptop hates the sandforce controller. IDK why but it doesn't recognize it on start up sometimes and it gets into a mode where it wont for a couple of days putting my laptop out of commission. As you can imagine this is really annoying. So I am looking to find another (perferably SATA II) drive to replace it with. It must also be 120gb. I have looked all over but I cant really find anything that meets the price and performance of the ocz drive that is not sandforce controller. I am pretty sure Corsair uses sandforce and they are the only ones that were close in performance and price. Intel had lower performance and higher price. Any suggestions would be very helpful thanks guys

Look at the Crucial M4. Supposed to be a very reliable drive - I also ordered the 128GB M4 for myself recently :)

BTW I also have the vertex 2 currently in my laptop....have you tried updating your firmware on it? Updating the firmware on my vertex 2 fixed my BSOD errors (and fixed an issue where I lost my OS and all data) I was getting previously.

drums101

Distinguished
I just updated the firmware on the laptop and I am pretty sure the firmware on the ssd is the most up to date. This is a common issue with the msi gx640 it wasnt bad at first but it seems to be much much worse now