Question Best SSD for Old Mobo GA-P55-USB3

Asad Naqvi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Respected Fellows
I have motherboard with following storage options
torage Interface
Chipset:
6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
GIGABYTE SATA2 chip:
1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (GSATA2_6, GSATA2_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD

I want to Update my Hard Drive to ssd but Confused which one

which is the best and fastest type of SSD i can install in my system
SSD or M.2 nvme with pcie 2.0 x4 adopter

secondly can i boot my system from a pcie 2.0 x4 slot ?

Thanking in advance

Asad Naqvi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I m using SSD on sata 3 G/S as my booting device but it supports maximum speed of 3 GB
is there any way to get more speed through raid , pice x4 (M.2) or any other possibility ?
My System is performing well according to my requirements but i have only slow storage issue . I do not want to update Motherboard CPU and RAM,

I don't believe that the P55 Express chipset used on that motherboard or the BIOS supports SSDs.
What do you mean by BIOS not supporting SSD ?? There's no such thing. SSD is just another disk to Any BIOS, OS or program. Only possible is for BIOS not to have AHCI mode for SATA ports but all SATA2 and 3 have that mode.
Using SATA2 (3Gb/s) port would half the sequential read/write speed of a SATA3 SSD, but will still be several (2-3) times faster than any HDD. Other functions, even more important, will be affected much less and access times which are most important will be just a fraction of a HDD.
NVMe SSDs are different story if needed for booting, totally impractical with MBs whose BIOS doesn't support it although some adapters may claim they can boot.

Reactions: Asad Naqvi