Best SSDs (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nullsteph

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
Without the 4k QD1 metric, the comparisons are not that meaningful. I expect more technical detail from Toms.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The BPX will be in stock by the end of the week and 960 Pro preorders started landing on consumer's doorsteps yesterday. The only one you have to worry about not shipping this month is the 960 EVO.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

The purpose of this monthly article is to summarize all of our recommendations, based on all of our reviews. The reviews actually have that data, and we've linked to them where appropriate.

Sep 22, 2016
Note that the 850 EVO 500GB m2 is cheaper than the 2.5" version right now ($158.66 at Newegg). Although both work off SATA connections, the fact that you don't need SATA cables for the m2 version is attractive to those who want fewer cables in their builds. I just picked one up the other day and it arrives today for me new build.=.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
The BPX drives are in stock as of today. We will update the links. I'm trying to get a firm date for the 960 EVO and an update on the status of SM961 shipments.

Very interesting considering the bullet points they put on each page:

About Our Recommendations:

We only recommend SSDs we've actually tested.

How do you test vaporware? They must have been sent a sample.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Did you read page 2?

CharredChar

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016
So what made you drop your recommendation of the SK hynix SL308 500GB in favor of the Toshiba OCZ TRION 150 480GB? From what I can find the Toshiba performs no better, worse in some cases, and is more expensive than the SK hynix. I actually bought the SK hynix last month for my Gaming PC and I love it, I was about to buy a second for my household server and I saw the change and was curious on the reasoning.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Hello Charredchar,

You made a very good purchase with the Sk hynix SL308. The change came down to availability. At the time of writing, the SL308 wasn't available at Newegg or the price was significantly higher than the TR150/Trion 150. Going from memory, I think it was sold out at Newegg.

CharredChar

Commendable
Nov 17, 2016

Thanks for that answer! I am extremely happy with the SK hynix but your statement of it not being available at the time just makes me wonder what else would be recommended over something like the SK hynix but wasn't just because at the time of posting it wasn't available because of stock. Maybe a 1-2-3 list from now on as prices and availability are subject to change between postings? I do find myself always checking the comments now for any other recommendations.

Bruce427

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
** How can you recommend an SSD that's not even on the market yet. The MyDigitalSSD BPX is vaporware at this point. **

The MyDigital BPX drives shipped on the very day of your comment. I received one today.

Later that day, it wasn't available anywhere when I posted.

Also only ever seemed to be available from a single source, and is now sold out.

CRamseyer

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2015
Last week I wrote an update to this list last week but it hasn't hit the site yet. There are several products sold out and a few given new release dates. Hopefully the update goes live on Monday.

fnrslvr

Commendable
Dec 6, 2016
So, I pulled the trigger on a 512GB 960 Pro for what seemed like a good deal (435AUD + free shipping), because the drawn-out wait on reviews and proper benchmarks and shipments of products was consuming too much of my time, and meanwhile my new Skylake/Pascal build is running off tiny old laptop drives. It seems like I'm dodging the issues with the Evo line, hopefully there isn't a disappointment in store when 512GB versions of the Pro finally get into the hands of reviewers. I narrowly resisted that Black Friday deal on the sleeveless M8Pe due to a lack of review coverage. Overall the release of this wave of NVMe drives has been very frustrating, and I can't see how the NAND shortage can explain the poor messaging and lack of availability of the tiny amount of samples needed for reviewers, but I guess that's easy to say as an outsider.

Sorry if this reads like a comment from an entitled enthusiast, it's just kind-of a mind dump.

Bruce427

Honorable
Jul 31, 2012
** The MyDigital BPX drives shipped on the very day of your comment. I received one today. **

_________
Sakkura: Later that day, it wasn't available anywhere when I posted.

Also only ever seemed to be available from a single source, and is now sold out.
_________

Yeah. I figured since the BPX series had gotten an excellent review that they were going to be hot items so I pre-ordered to make certain I would get one from the first batch to arrive. They were out of stock for a few days after the initial shipment, but as of right now (Dec. 19th.) the MyDigitalDiscount Website is showing all three capacities as in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.