• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Best SSDs For The Money: April 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

for me reliability & gigabyte/$ are the only criteria that should matter for most consumers looking for SSDs .
especially 1st time buyers.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Those Mushkin drives that consistently sit at or under the $1/GB mark are simply killer. If I had some money to burn, I'd have already popped a 240GB one in my system.

hmp_goose

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I'm still lost, after all these months: Why are there drives with higher prices listed after the Chronos Deluxe?

Honorable Mentions for laptop use? The price premium surely doesn't cover 16GB of extra capacity …

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
I got an OCZ Agility III for my aging laptop and made that thing into a screamer and boots faster than my cell phone. I paid 150 for it and it is 120gb so I think it was a pretty sweet deal and a great investment.....it also managed to double my battery life somehow lol. What I want to see is a review of msata SSD's for those who have a mobo with a built in msata port since its hard to find a which ones would fit the board since there are various types that are not true msata and thus result in wasted money

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
crucial m4 better then samsung 830?!?!? WHAT A JOKE. wonder how much crucial paid toms. I upgraded from a crucial to a samsung and I can see clearly the improvements.

G

ssd drives now still do not give the bang for buck in terms of capacity compared to HDDs..

blackbirden

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Does Toms have any idea how well the Plextor M3 Pro series performs compared to the rest of the crowd,
it seems a bit intresting. But i cant tell from reviews ,
some shows very exelent performance others not so good.

catchphrase

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Recently bought an Intel 820 120GB from Newegg, on sale for under $140. It's now the boot and gaming drive for a Core Duo system. In my opinion, even operating on SATA3, it has proven a very effective upgrade.

catchphrase

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Recently bought an Intel 820 120GB from Newegg, on sale for under $140. It's now the boot and gaming drive for a Core Duo system. In my opinion, even operating on SATA3, it has proven a very effective upgrade.

Onus

Titan
I'd like to see more focus on reliability. I've had to RMA 2/5 SSDs, and lost some data when they died. I added a Samsung 830 recently, and I hope it holds up; it is backed up weekly onto a mechanical drive.

inflexion

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I was fortunate enough to pick up a Crucial M4 128gb last month for $1 per gigabyte to my doorstep a little over a month ago. I have been using it as my primary drive in my work laptop and I have been very impressed. Good performance and rock solid. I would recommend if you can find it in that price range. I wanted the Samsung 830 that Toms recommends this month. I am in the market for 2 more 128 gb drives and maybe I can get one for $1 a gig in the coming months.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
128GB OCZ octane on sata II for $120, and synchronus memory.

Given that I care more about $ per gb than speed per gb, I bought this and am happy, though time will tell before it dies out on me.

But booting is fine, and application loads almost instant, I could've spent more on twice as instant though...

ubercake

Splendid
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]I'd like to see more focus on reliability. I've had to RMA 2/5 SSDs, and lost some data when they died. I added a Samsung 830 recently, and I hope it holds up; it is backed up weekly onto a mechanical drive.[/citation]
Try the Intels. I've had 3 separate models now and they continue to function without fail.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
mushkin "MX" branded chronos deluxe??? anyone benched one yet???

for an ssd with 120gb, sycrons, sf2281, mlc and all the bells and whistles $140seems awfully cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS