Best SSDs For The Money: April 2012

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
What are the sources behind plp saying the M4 is more reliable than other options? I bought a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB and can't believe how low they priced it.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Why are the Patriot memory SSD's not being covered?

I have a patriot pyro se sata III drive in my main compter and it screams! I'm running it on a gigabyte ga-970a-d3 motherboard and I am able to get 510x505 read and write performance.
After 40.00 Mail in rebate it ended up costing me 119.99

I also have a 60gb sata III patriot pyro (non se version) and it cranks out 420x405 read and write performance on my laptop. it cost me 54.99 after 25.00 mail in rebate.

I got these numbers after re-flashing to the same 3.2.2 firmware on both drives and then flashing them to some 5.0.2 update afterwards. (I believe the5.0.2 update is some sort of other patch that does not affect the 3.2.2 firmware)

the first patch was to make sure i had the appropriate firmware. The second patch boosted performance on both drives.

7.9 wei scores on both drives.

the pyro wildfire is super expensive and i feel the pyro SE is the version to buy since it is about .15-.20 mbps slower than the wildfire and you could not possibly notice the difference at all.

I have no experience with any other SSD's but on a side note these drives are made in the USA! and with patriot constantly offering rebates it is a god deal.

I am super satisfied!

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Yeah, I'll check out Crucial m4 256 GB a Micro Center :) I need couple of drives...

One Question: Anyone using this SSD in Virtualized OS environment ? (Win7 & Linux OSes). I'm wondering how's the performance in such a system. Tom's Hardware never bothers to test the system with VT-x and VT-d. It's time for them to do a review on this...thanks

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
The firmware update for the 128 gb Vertex 4 is destructive. While it looks like a big update on paper, it might not be worth the hassle of restoring my boot drive...

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
picked up a 120GB Vertex 4 - thanks for the review Tom's - I've had nothing but screaming fast speeds, and that is using a Vertex2 60GB 3gb/s on my desktop, so I cant wait to see the 6gb/s

I have to comment about the Corsair Nova 2 series SSD's. I've personally used about 4-5 60GB models and all I can say is STAY AWAY! Extremely unreliable...though when it DOES work, it's great. But I found I couldn't multitask with it.

Anyway it makes a nice slave drive if anyone gets it and has issues later on haha.

adjo

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Using 2 x 60Gb Agility 3 in RAID 0. No problems. Speed is insane. Reliability was an issue... until I realized my drives weren't running the same firmware. Updated both to the latest and have been rock solid since. Take all the haters with a grain of salt. U gotta be sure ur system is set up right - software AND hardware. I have the drives in a cool system with plenty of airflow, and have disabled prefetch in W7. I honestly have no idea what ppl are saying about OCZ being unreliable....check your set up is all I can say. Peace

adjo

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Using 2 x 60Gb Agility 3 in RAID 0. No problems. Speed is insane. Reliability was an issue... until I realized my drives weren't running the same firmware. Updated both to the latest and have been rock solid since. Take all the haters with a grain of salt. U gotta be sure ur system is set up right - software AND hardware. I have the drives in a cool system with plenty of airflow, and have disabled prefetch in W7. I honestly have no idea what ppl are saying about OCZ being unreliable....check your set up is all I can say. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.