Best SSDs For The Money: August 2012 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
Chris,

Please correct in SSD 1TB: SanDisk Extreme PRO 906GB. It should be 960GB.

BTW, when can we expect new Extreme PRO SSDs? I'm somewhat concerned about new product launches in certain market segments because of WD takeover of SanDisk.

tommatthews1951

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
I really don't understand awarding the Muskin 1 TB as the mainstream pick in the body of this article while naming it the value pick in the pricing chart. It seems in the body of the article the value pick in the 1 TB size is the MyDigitalSSD BP5e. In fact, the body of the article title is: "1TB Value Pick" but the price summary table labels the Muskin the budget pick. The MyDigitalSSD BP5e is $80 less so I would think that would be the budget pick.

tommatthews1951

Commendable
Apr 18, 2016
I've been using SSDs in servers now for about 5 years and what would be really valuable to me as part of the review, would be to indicate performance in a RAID environment. We use RAID 5 in 9 HP and Dell servers and have found that some of the controllers complain about using consumer grade SSDs. In fact, even some data center grade SSDs throw up warnings when running with the standard RAID controller. The first SSDs we used were Intel and although they ran very well when compared with mechanical drives, their 3 GHz operation was soon crushed by the advancing speed of consumer grade SSDs. More recently, I have found that some of the newer ones, like the Crucial M500, did not work very well with Dell Perc servers. We wound up not using the hardware RAID controller with the Crucial drives and instead used Microsoft Storage Pools, essentially software RAID.

Running some tests with a couple of standard RAID controllers -- HP 420i or Dell Perc 6/i or LSI MegaRAID -- to see if an SSD line is compatible would be very useful. It would be interesting to see the performance benefits of using SSDs in a RAID striping environment which is where we see database and web servers headed.

Mar 10, 2015
For ADATA Premier SP550 . there some tricks from manufacture.
REAL (!) Read speed 550 MB/SEC write speed only 55 Mb SEC !
You can try to test it if you will write big file more than 5 GB.
Use "crystall mark" test and in option increase test file size up to 10 GB. you will see real result.
This SSD used internal NAND cashe for fast write operation wih small file size.
So i use it for my computer and if i use it for linux server SSD cashe - it is workd slow.
Model: ADATA Premier SP600 working 3x faster !

saytuhn

Commendable
Apr 24, 2016
Don't buy the SM951. If it fails, you are SOL, Samsung will not warranty this item at all. Resellers will not replace it for you either.

Status
Not open for further replies.