Best SSDs For The Money: January 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phamhlam

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
All SSD are nearly the same. Just look at 5 factors: Price, Volume, Controller, NAND type, and SATA II or SATA III.

Personally, I love Samsung drives because they make the chips and controller. It also looks amazing but if you are going for SF, I think Corsair Force GT is a great performance/price combo. I saw 120GB for $160 (on sale).

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]phamhlam[/nom]All SSD are nearly the same. Just look at 5 factors: Price, Volume, Controller, NAND type, and SATA II or SATA III.Personally, I love Samsung drives because they make the chips and controller. It also looks amazing but if you are going for SF, I think Corsair Force GT is a great performance/price combo. I saw 120GB for $160 (on sale).[/citation]
you forgot, pci-e, mini pci-e, expresscard, usb, HSDL, RAID SSD's.

meer156

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
People talk about Intel, Crucial, & Samsung but you also have to mention Plextor in the mix, as well. The customer reviews for the Plextor drives are outstanding. The specs on the m3 are actually better than the Crucial M4 plus a 5yr warranty. Does Tom's even review Plextors?

G

I just want a reliable drive for a decent price, I don't care if one is 1 millisecond faster as the other.

csm101

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
i jst bought a OCZ Agility 3 90G by following the december article via ebay. ( and now i see vertex 3 is in that place :( ) i hope it perform good as i plan to use 30g of the SSD for win 7 and rest of it for games.

krossbonzz

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
* Note for possible Mushkin buyers: The Mushkin Chronos Deluxe "Enhanced" is their fastest drive. There is a diff between the Deluxe & Deluxe Enhanced for those interested. I own the 120Gb "Enhanced" (paired with a Seagate 1T SATA III 6Gb) and have had no problems with the SSD and any questions about the drives from the Mushkin Tech team are quick.

G

Can anyone explain why the Corsair m4 128gb is a tier above the OCZ Vortex 120gb despite it having much slower write speeds?

G

Sorry, I mean CRUCIAL M4 rather than Corsair M4 (of course!)

fill_d

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Looking for some advice- I have a Sata2 MB - is it best to go for a SATA 2 SSD or a SATA3 and get a controller card?
Cheers

G

The Torqx 2 (Page 2, Drive at $75) doesn't use a Sandforce controller. The Torqx 2 line uses a Phison controller with 128 mb of cache RAM.

In any case, I got a 64 GB Torqx 2 from Newegg for $50 after a rebate. That's a nice price point for a boot drive.

DamageIncM

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Question:

Why is the OCZ Vertex 3 of 240GB in Tier 2 and the same one of 120GB in Tier 6?...
Does larger mean faster in SSD-world?...

Status
Not open for further replies.