Best SSDs For The Money: July 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
"At under $1/GB, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better deal below $100."

With daily sales and other promotions the prices of 120gb drives are especially good. I just got a 120gb kingston hyperx for $80, no MIR required. Best PC purchase in awhile in my opinion.

G

I was lucky enough to snag a Samsung 830 256GB for $230 on Newegg this evening. Lowest price of the year so far!

I have three of them that I've been able to work with so far, both of the 256GB versions perform up to and above their rated speeds in real world testing. Nice having an SSD that works well with compressible and non-compressible data equally well.

cmcghee358

Distinguished
Aww. I got a Samsung 830 128GB SSD on 6/17/2012. But my SKU is MZ-7PC128B/WW. I got it from newegg.com. I'm curious why this /WW isn't included in the list of SSDs that can get the code?

The problem with quoting prices is they fluctuate all the time. Prices can change daily.

Tom's Hardware has a link to daily deals located in the news section on the left hand side of the home page. Eventually readers who follow the link find themselves at LogicBuy which is a service that lists the lowest prices at any given time. The sale prices and special promotions fluctuate daily. LogicBuy also has a web page just for drives. If you are thinking about purchasing an ssd, then it pays to check the prices at LogicBuy. The prices are well below $1.00 per GB. Recently an ssd was down to $0.50 per GB. Heck of a price but the ssd was not one I would buy.

G

I don't understand why there is no Corsair Force GT in these recommandations.
http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06MOP8/ 120GB
Maximum Read Transfer Rate 555 MBps
Maximum Write Transfer Rate 515 MBps
For 123$ ?
BTW i got 2 OCZ Agility 2 and both dead withing 1 month of installling ,then went to Corsair which is more then you need ... 7.9 windows score

[citation][nom]jerreddredd[/nom]interesting how the Crucial M4 is absent.... 128Gb version can be found for $90-115 on sale all throughout July, with a regular price of $130-150. very solid SSD[/citation]

The Samsung 830 is around for about the same price, but is significantly faster despite being similarly reliable and using slightly even lower power. The M4 is kinda like the 830's little brother when it comes to performance and unless it is priced accordingly, it is not as good of a deal as the 830 has been lately.

[citation][nom]Yoshi Toshi[/nom]I don't understand why there is no Corsair Force GT in these recommandations.http://www.hookbag.ca/product/H3C06MOP8/ 120GBMaximum Read Transfer Rate 555 MBpsMaximum Write Transfer Rate 515 MBpsFor 123$ ?BTW i got 2 OCZ Agility 2 and both dead withing 1 month of installling ,then went to Corsair which is more then you need ... 7.9 windows score[/citation]

Maybe the Kingston Hyper 3K that they recommended instead of the Corsair Force GT was cheaper than the Force GT when they looked up the prices for this article.

[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]I'm planning on switching out my Intel 320 for either a Crucial M4 or an OCZ Vertex 4 - I'm waiting on the next firmware update before I decide.[/citation]

I think that a Samsung 830 versus a Vertex 4 is a better decision to make. The M4 is a great drive, but it's not as fast as the 830, especially in the 256GB capacity. The M4 has no other perks that I know of that the 830 lacks.

inmytaxi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2008
The Agility 3 is $90 not including $10 rebate for the 120 GB model at a place that doesn't advertise here.

The Agility 4 is $100 with no rebate for the 128 GB model at ditto.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]I'm planning on switching out my Intel 320 for either a Crucial M4 or an OCZ Vertex 4 - I'm waiting on the next firmware update before I decide.[/citation]
I don't see why you would do that unless you were also significantly increasing your storage size simultaneously. The speed differences in most scenarios between the drive you have and the ones you are considering are negligible at best...

[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I don't see why you would do that unless you were also significantly increasing your storage size simultaneously. The speed differences in most scenarios between the drive you have and the ones you are considering are negligible at best...[/citation]

Actually, depending on the workload, the Vertex 4 and the 830 can be much faster than the 320, especially the 256GB and up models of each family. Sure, unless someone does specific workloads there is little difference between using even some older SATA II SSDs and the best SATA 6Gb/s SSDs, but that's not true for even close to everything.

azama

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2011
Wonder why no drive is approaching 600MB/s, maybe 2 drives in RAID 0 could be faster?
I thought SSDs have internal RAID-like configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.