Best SSDs For The Money: June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
On the "Best SSDs: $200 To $300" page there is a typo in the "Best SSDs for ~$270: Gaming Option 256 GB" option. In the chart it says it is a 240gb SSD but it is a 256gb SSD. I'm sure its just a typo...

bim27142

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
Is this accurate?

Samsung 830 240 GB
Sequential Read 560 MB/s
Sequential Write 525 MB/s
Power Consumption (Active) 3 W
Power Consumption (Idle) 1 W

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mjmjpfaff[/nom]On the "Best SSDs: $200 To $300" page there is a typo in the "Best SSDs for ~$270: Gaming Option 256 GB" option. In the chart it says it is a 240gb SSD but it is a 256gb SSD. I'm sure its just a typo...[/citation]

Fixed! Thanks for being so cool about everything. :)

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
Tom's Hardware

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
I think this is definitely your best article in the "Best SSD's For the Money" series. I can finally agree with the majority of your recommendations, and even though you don't explicitly state it, I feel like you finally took user feedback on reliability into consideration for the different recommendations. i.e. fewer OCZ recommendations, and no ridiculous pedestal recommendations for Intel's ridiculously overpriced ssd's that provide nothing over the likes of Crucial and Samsung.
Two thumbs up!

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
We'll I always try. Not saying I'm always right. There simply are too many SSD vendors out there. It's hard to cover them all. But I'm glad you like the changes. :)

I think for some people the confidence that Intel is going to back your play should something go wrong means a lot. Not saying it's worth the premium, but for some people, it is. That said, I do like the idea of game bundles. I think it's a great way to get more value from an SSD.

Cheers
Andrew Ku
Tom's Hardware

radon_antila

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]I think for some people the confidence that Intel is going to back your play should something go wrong means a lot. Not saying it's worth the premium, but for some people, it is.[/citation]

This is true for enterprises, certainly. Essentially, if the data is more valuable than the storage, the Intel SSD is worth the premium. For everyone else, the Crucial and Samsung SSDs are better value propositions.

Two points and a question:
1. Yes, please incorporate reliability into your ratings. I've had 2/4 Sandforce drives I bought fail, so I will choose an alternate.
2. I like my Samsung 830, although I am not getting its claimed performance. I suspect it is because I'm running an AMD system, even though it's a 990FX. As the article points out, the performance of a SSD beats the snot out of a mechanical HDD.
Finally, and this article wouldn't be the place to cover it, but I'd like more information on the performance of SRT using a 64GB SSD along with a mainstream (i.e. not "green") HDD. Does such a system generally perform closer to the speed of a SSD, or more like just a fast HDD?
Thanks.

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom] Yes, please incorporate reliability into your ratings. I've had 2/4 Sandforce drives I bought fail, so I will choose an alternate.[/citation]
Reliability is subjective and Track Records are just statistics. I've installed 4 SandForce drives, each in a different computer, and never had a single problem. The computers include one desktop and two laptop PCs and one Mac Mini, all of which continue to work without problems.

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
The ~$115 recommendation "Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe" has some incorrect information. The drive referenced here is actually the "Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MX" (model MKNSSDCR120GB-MX, currently selling for $115 on Newegg). This drive isn't a "Toggle-mode SF-22xx-based SSD", but actually uses "synchronous mode NAND flash" according to Mushkin's website.

http://www.mushkin.com/Digital-Storage/SSDs.aspx

The 120GB version (model MKNSSDCR120GB-DX) of the Chronos Deluxe SSD, which actually uses Toggle-mode flash memory, currently sells for $190 on Newegg (and roughly the same everywhere else).

G

With the SSD price drop/war right now, I'm in dilemma of choosing btw Corsair, Kingston and OCZ for 120GB SSD (~$90). Which of these are best for this price point?

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... and... still... my Vertex 3 is strong... by the prices now, i maybe buy a nother one for RAID 0...[/citation]
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]^ bet you cant tell the difference between RAID0 SS's and a single SSD without benchmarking.[/citation]
... the improvement would be minimal, except twice as space, that i need for virtual machines and dual boot for wubi, theoretical access time improvements... i have the SSD for system stuff, then a 1TB HDD for storage and 2TB HDD for backup... so you know a better way to increase my system volume by not increasing partition count and using what you have and adding more?

Isaiah4110

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

That is a SATA II (3.0 Gbps) drive. It has no where near the performance of any SATA III Solid State Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.