Best SSDs For The Money: May 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I need to retest the 256 GB Vertex 4 because of weird results. Couldn't make it in time this month. Definately will be in next month's feature.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

vestibule

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
Gotta love random deals on Newegg, I narrowly missed a 128 GB Crucial M4 for $110 a couple weeks ago, it was out of stock just seconds before I decided to get it. A week later they had a 256 GB one for $210 which is an even sweeter deal, it took days for that to be out of stock.

Both were the newest version BTW, and I'm just holding on to the SDD for a bit for a build I'll do in a month or so.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
"But if you look at performance over an entire month, you will find the 830 to be a faster performer"

Still going to do 4x SSD's in raid 0 in my next build for the e-peen.

G

darn, should have waited, I could have got double the space for $10 more, good to see SSD prices come down though

juan83

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
At 1$/GB i think is time to talk about raid 0, but i know little about reliability of this disks.

2 x 90GB = 180GB and ~ 900 Mb/sec and spending 180$

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
i managed to snag a brand new samsung 830 128 gb for $119 a couple weeks ago for my new build. it's my very first desktop ssd. one of the best thing performance wise that i noticed in my new build was the ssd. :)

G

Remember that with Raid 0 you lose TRIM functionality and performance will degrade overtime.

There are so many sales that it's impossible to justify "Best" based upon MSRP. I truly wish the maximum R/W wasn't listed in this review as the headliners, especially since IOPS (R/W) and 4K (R/W) are what's important -- not to mention Reliability, $/GB, and Warranty.

Choosing the "Best SSD" per price range needs to be a weighted scoring.

samuelspark

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]deepb[/nom]Is there a reason why the Mushkin 90GB version is recomendded over the OCZ Agility 3 90 GB version as the OCZ one is available at Amazon for 85$ http://www.amazon.com/Agility-2-5- [...] 637&sr=1-6[/citation]

Mushkin Enhanced Chronos has sychronous flash and offers much better performance, comparable to the Vertex 3.

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
From the first page of this article: "Now that Intel's Z68 Express chipset is available, the idea of SSD-based caching could come into play for more entry-level enthusiasts, too."

Is this accurate or should it say "z77" chipset? Or, wouldn't the z77 chipset be a bit better?

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Which 120g SSD is better to go with Intel's i7 3770 and Gigabytes z77 UD5???

I was considering Intel's 520 or Mushkin Chronos Deluxe? I was under the impression that only Intel's SSD's would do that special cache thingy?

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]There are so many sales that it's impossible to justify "Best" based upon MSRP. I truly wish the maximum R/W wasn't listed in this review as the headliners, especially since IOPS (R/W) and 4K (R/W) are what's important -- not to mention Reliability, $/GB, and Warranty. Choosing the "Best SSD" per price range needs to be a weighted scoring.[/citation]

Respectfully disagree. On average, your personal machine is going to transfer more sequential data than you would random (remember a single 128 KB sequential transfer is 32x bigger than a single 4 KB random one). Even if it's weighed compensated, there tends to be more sequential transfers. We've covered this several times in the past with our trace articles. Second, "IOPS" ties in with randoms (4 KB), so I'm not sure what you mean by separating them.

As to reliablity, while I believe that is the single most important trait moving forward (read http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923.html), there's no way to quantify it. A lot of the problems are vendor specific not tied to one controller. SandForce BSODs for example were related to power, and each SF partner uses its own power circuity design. Give me a few thousand SSDs of each model, a datacenter, and a couple of years, and I'll have some numbers for you. :p Everything at the moment is ancetodal. Newegg/Amazon reviews, for example, are a good resource, but they hardly count as a good statistical sample. From a purely experimental standpoint, there's too much bias. You could make the argument that certain brands are likely to overstate reliablity and others understate. Everyone there selects they have a high tech knowledge in Newegg reviews, which lends more weight to opinion. But seriously, who's going to select beginner (aka "I'm a newbie")? ;p

If you have a suggestion on a specific weighed scoring system, feel free to share it. Not sure what you'd exactly envisioning.

[citation][nom]RaidenSix[/nom]Any particular reason the Corsair Performance Pro series was not included?[/citation]
Sorry mate, I'll include it next month. Tracing SSDs take a lot of time.

[citation][nom]deepb[/nom]Is there a reason why the Mushkin 90GB version is recomendded over the OCZ Agility 3 90 GB version as the OCZ one is available at Amazon for 85$ http://www.amazon.com/Agility-2-5- [...] 637&sr=1-6[/citation]
Technically they are the same. Both async. (Chronos MX is sync, Chronos Deluxe is toggle). We just choose the Mushkin because it was cheaper at the time. Prices can change in a heartbeat though. Sorry for the confusion.

[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]mushkin chronos deluxe is awesome[/citation]
And for whatever reason they also tend to be the cheapest 2nd-gen SF + Toggle SSDs. :)

[citation][nom]josejones[/nom]From the first page of this article: "Now that Intel's Z68 Express chipset is available, the idea of SSD-based caching could come into play for more entry-level enthusiasts, too."Is this accurate or should it say "z77" chipset? Or, wouldn't the z77 chipset be a bit better?[/citation]

As I recall, the Z77 caching numbers didn't look different from Z68. As for caching enabled SSDs, you can use any SSD. While Intel suggests its own brand, there's nothing stopping you from using a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe.

Petrol is a handicapped Everest 1 SSD. It's to the Octane as the Solid was the Vertex 3. Better bargins out there in my opinion with respect to preformance. Also, it's odd that there's a 256 GB model. Not sure what's going on. OCZ's website only lists 64 GB and 128 GB. http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-petrol-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

Cheers,
Andrew Ku

Status
Not open for further replies.