Best Storage option

G

Ok, I work for a graphics comapny creating magazines for nightclubs. Each finished book can be anything from 300Mb-700Mb in size. The computer I use only has a 15Gb HD and I'm down to my last 1Gb. I've mentioned I need a new one and the muppet woman who deals with artwork went away to speak to the manager and get prices. Anyway, her 'technical' friend quoted about £500 for a 100Gb HD and she said we won't be getting a new one because her 'technical' friend says that the best value for money would be to back it up to CD-R. Well, sorry I can get a Maxtor 100Gb HD for £230 and there is no way I want to back up about 10Gb to CD-R. It'd take around 18 CD's and 9 hours. I wouldn't mind but I'm computer literate, I build computers, I repair all the ones in the office, install all the software, hardware, etc and whenever anyone has a problem they come to me. So, why when I say I need a new HD don't they listen? Does anyone else suffer from complete muppets in their workplace? Anyway, which is the best option? CD-R (i think not) or a new HD?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
new hdds are the best option... my brother published a graffiti magazine recently and it took up, oh 10 gigs... i dont want to back up all the tifs onto cdrs, no way no how... just got a new hard drive... the the technical friend to shove 10 gigs worth of cdrs up his tight arse... ou can get 2 40 gig drives for next to nothing... (when compared to the quoted £500) but anyway... yes there are too many muppets running around mostly in the form of my friends parents... they refuse to buy a computer from me because i refuse to sell them [-peep-] printers and scanners which come "free" with all the computers in adverts... oh well... i know theyll come and complain about the quality i dont want that... so far all the customers ive had are happy with their boxes and people complain to me about their packard bell 1.2 gigahertz boxes with 256 megs of ram not being able to keep up with a duron 800 in games and the like, a box which i built and are asking me to set their boxes up to run at similar speeds... sorry but that tnt2 cant cope... they say but its an nvidia card with 32megs of ram just like the one in that box... you know the story... anyway... enjoy tormenting muppets... its great fun!

if in doubt blame microsoft...

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
US you can get 100gig Maxtor drives for about $260 give or take a little. But I would get two of those and stripe it! But if you don't have the cash, just one would be cool! I think killall is right about telling your technical friend to take his CDR's and shove them in his arse.

I deal with muppets everyday! It's kinda like the movie "The 6th Sense", but it's more like "I see muppets, there everywhere!".

Anyways, there are a lot of storage solutions out there like a NAS, external USB, or 1394/FireWire. It all just comes to having the cash to buy it! Don't you just hate that!?!

Oh well ... just my two cents that I lost in the King Stupids parking lot.

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

G

Why are some people so moronic? What really annoys me is when people have a problem and I tell them they need to replace a piece of hardware they insist that they don't. They'll either argue till they're blue in the face they don't need to upgrade or they'll just ignore you and try to struggle along with what they have. It was the same for my friend who was a mechanic. People would ask what was wrong and he'd tell them they'd need a new carb and they'd argue that they didn't. This muppet insists that we don't need a new HD because her 'know-it-all' friend says so. The same guy that, when I quoted £300 each for machines to be used for word processing, etc said that 24x CD drives were crap and too slow and he would fit 52x CD drives in the machines he quoted £450 for. All they were to be used for were typing, why the hell would they need 52x CD drives? I hate these people, I doubt this guy knows anything real about computers and believes that unless something isn't the latest highest available spec it's crap. Grrr

Solstice

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2001
Just some friendly advice on how to deal with people that just don't get it.

10 Gigs to backup/ 700Meg cd's Right around 15 cd's
15 Cd's time to burn on 8x CDR = 11 Minutes or so
11x15= 2.75 Hours
2.75 Hours * Lets say $20 bucks an hour = 55 dollars in labor

15 great quality cd's = 10 bucks or so.

10+55= $65 dollars total cost for use once storage.
30 gig drive $80 bucks

Anyhow you get the idea non technical people have no clue what it takes to get the job done. Break it out for them
let them see the dollars and cents

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
because theyre human and they have the major human flaw... they think they are smarter than everyone else, they think they will be able to get away with something because they are them and no one else is better... humanity, mortality... its all bad...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
One thing you haven't mentioned: Do you back these files up? If you had started burning them to CD-R with the first one, you'd have a stack of copies safely stored away. If you want to be able to access previous versions quickly then a big, new HDD plus a CD burner would be the ticket. If it's so important to keep the old ones you should back 'em up as you go along!

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Of course, a file server with a *real* backup system is how I'd want to do it. You'd probably have to slap everybody in the place to get one though.... ;-)

BTW - I wanted to add 3 more SCSI disks to our file server in a RAID 5 and my boss asked "Couldn't we just add one of those 80GB IDE drives to the server?" Kinda made me wonder why we spent all that cash on a server with an 8-bay backplane.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Have you ever considered getting a DVD+RW?
How about DD (double density) or ML (Multi Layer) CD-RWs--or at least when they come out?

<font color=blue>Your mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take affect. Restart Now?[OK]</font color=blue>

Option 1: Annoy them until something happens or you get slapped.

Option 2: Go out and buy it yourself and bill the company.

Option 3: Get the prices on paper and show them. Sometimes accountancy and clerical types need a piece of paper to believe.

Option 4: Try to convince the techie person (remember he/she is the professional, and whether or not they are good, they believe they are) that your idea is a good one.

<b><font color=blue>Change the</font color=blue><font color=red> sig of</font color=red><font color=green> the week!</font color=green> :tongue: </b>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
Or option 5: fill the remaining 1 gig and then go for a tea break, when asked why you are on a break, say its because the hdd is full so you cant do any work then say "I DAM TOLD YOU SO - FOOL"

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I would recommend doing both. Get a new HD, but also back up your current work to cd's as you never know what will go wrong when you upgrade a PC.

If price is the determining factor, then go for a 60 or 80 gig drive. They are alot more common than the 100 gig drives and should be cheeper, especially since you will have multiple vendors and manufacturers to deal with.

How long did it take you to fill your 15 gigs?

They're right when they say get it on paper. Do a cost/benifit analysis if you know how. Quote the price per meg to back up to a CD versus the price per meg to back up to a HD, and don't forget to mention that CD's are one use only. Also don't forget to mention the time it will take to do the backup. Muppets like everything to be spelled out in black and white.

G

Well, I do have copies of most of the magazines on CD for when they go to the printers but storing all my graphic data on CD's isn't efficient for various reasons. If I only have a copy of something on CD and I need to edit it, it means copying to HD, editing, and then burning to a new CD. It's a 4x burner but that still takes a damn sight more time than to just open it from HD and edit it. I had to reinstall everything once and before so I backed up all the artwork to CD, there was only about 4Gb at that time and even that took hours. I was thinking of a HD around 80-100Gb and trying to convince them of possibly getting a proper backup system. The only problem is this muppet vito-ing what I say and going to her 'guru' friend. Anyway, I'm down to my last 800Mb so they better make their minds up. If they go for the CD-R option I'm telling them where to shove it.

Rabs

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Get one of those new Pioneer DVD-RW from Scan (www.scan.co.uk), about £640. Print out the page and also the one with the DVD-RW media (4.7GB) on at about £7.

These know it all boss types love the words cost effective.

25 mins to write a 4.7GB DVD full of stuff yes please....

G

Um, £640? I could get three 100Gb HD's for that price. Really though, I need a large storage medium that I can write to easy, quickly and multiple times. A new HD is the best answer, unfortunately my cries of "I need a new Hard Drive" are falling on deaf ears.

Trust me, you're already in Windows... you are... LOOK BITCH!!!... :mad: