[SOLVED] Best/Suggestions of VPNs with these features?

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
Hello, Ive been researching VPNs for my android TV mostly for streaming and unlocking content. I am looking for something specific. I need the VPN to:
  1. Start when the android TV is on.
  2. I need the device to use my IP for everything and the vpn just for certain apps.
  3. If possible, I might need to be able to set different countries for some apps.
  4. Fast VPN (that uses my connection to he fullest or atleast 80%-100%) it is a must since is for streaming.
I dont mid paying $5 to $10 monthly and I always expect privacy and a safe software.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
You would need a paid VPN service that allowed you simultaneous connections to meet the number of areas you want.

virtual server like proxmox. You can run pfsense and ubuntu for each wireguard VPN. Then you would need to use policy based routing to change the gateway based on destination ip using the CIDR ranges allocated to those areas. some paid vpn providers have wireguard support. wireguard can run at 1Gbs on minimal hardware. You could do the same with openvpn on x86 and get 100-200Mbs.

This wouldn't be really easy to setup but it's possible. To configure the vms you need to be familiar with iptables, systemd, and wireguard. pfsense has a lot of information on how to do things in their webgui. if you are familar with routing you...
If you did not have the requirement for a android tv there likely would be a number of options because it is mostly vpn setting in the pc client. If your tv can even run a vpn client I suspect it will be extremely limited.

This means you must run the vpn on the router. Problem is vpn is extremely cpu intensive and most routers can only get about 20-30mbps. There are 1 or 2 special routers that can get 200mbps but anything more than that you need a comerical vpn router or use a pc as a router.

It is going to be very hard to use different vpn connections for different countries at the same time. It likely is possible but again the more complex you make this the more likely you are going to have to use a dedicated pc running as a vpn router.

You issue is not the vpn service itself, it is mostly you wanting to use a tv on a vpn rather than just loading a simple cpn client on a pc.

preguntonontrack

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2013
If you did not have the requirement for a android tv there likely would be a number of options because it is mostly vpn setting in the pc client. If your tv can even run a vpn client I suspect it will be extremely limited.

This means you must run the vpn on the router. Problem is vpn is extremely cpu intensive and most routers can only get about 20-30mbps. There are 1 or 2 special routers that can get 200mbps but anything more than that you need a comerical vpn router or use a pc as a router.

It is going to be very hard to use different vpn connections for different countries at the same time. It likely is possible but again the more complex you make this the more likely you are going to have to use a dedicated pc running as a vpn router.

You issue is not the vpn service itself, it is mostly you wanting to use a tv on a vpn rather than just loading a simple cpn client on a pc.

I wouldnt worry about the Android TV, is an Nvidia Shield. It runs everything from the playstore. I still need suggestions!

And the playstore is the problem. I assume you have already searched there are did not find what you wanted. Android is extremely locked down compared to any computer type of operating system. My guess is you would need root access to do what you want and no application like that is allowed on the store.

So when you can't find the app on the appstore then you are back to putting a device inbetween to do the function.

You would need a paid VPN service that allowed you simultaneous connections to meet the number of areas you want.

virtual server like proxmox. You can run pfsense and ubuntu for each wireguard VPN. Then you would need to use policy based routing to change the gateway based on destination ip using the CIDR ranges allocated to those areas. some paid vpn providers have wireguard support. wireguard can run at 1Gbs on minimal hardware. You could do the same with openvpn on x86 and get 100-200Mbs.

This wouldn't be really easy to setup but it's possible. To configure the vms you need to be familiar with iptables, systemd, and wireguard. pfsense has a lot of information on how to do things in their webgui. if you are familar with routing you can navigate through it. proxmox isn't too bad to figure out how to create a few VMs. There could be a docker wireguard available that would reduce the amount of VM configuring you need to do. It would be tricky to do multiple VPN on a single docker but you could just keep creating more VMs with docker.

Last edited:
Solution