Question Best Tails Security?

If one lives a life where one needs Tails, I'd worry that mere use of Tails would imply I'm a 'hider' of something...and probably avoid it's use it for that reason...(there are numerous Linux Live CD images out there, and even WIn10PE-based ISOs available...)

If the goal is merely data security, selecting LUKS encryption at installation with any Linux distro is indeed pretty darn simple...although, being prompted for a password right at bootup sort of also implies things are being hidden as well...(hence the potential problematic lack of 'plausible deniability')

If you want something hidden, it can be encrypted (even 7-Zip offers AES256 level encryption, or p7zip for Linux) and stuffed in a cloud account accessible from any browser....

Doing a little experimenting, one can create a hidden (or visible) Veracrypt container in the cloud ( I use a small 128 MB sample container in P-Cloud), and only mount it as a local drive when needed...; if linking security to both a password and a keyfile one can have a simple notepad as a keyfile, where even one or more extra characters added/deleted makes the presence of the apparently innocent note to Aunt Sally or grocery list no longer a valid key file....

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Per Edward Snowden papers, even googling TOR or Tails will get you looked at by security agencies here in the states. It's very use makes you a suspect for criminal activity. I'm not saying that you are doing anything criminal. There are many valid reasons from reporter sources, to dissident communication, or you may not want your data sold by google or whomever else. But either way, you will show up on radar for just trying to use it.

Tails/Onion/TOR have been compromised many times in the past by artificially pumping nodes (hop points) into the chain that are controlled by the government, allowing the activity to be tracked back to you. God help you if you are foolish enough to visit an illegal website.

I'm not encouraging anyone to break the law. Quite the opposite. If they want you they will catch you. However I do believe information is important. If you apply for a sensitive job in the future, using something like this could cost you that job. None of this information is classified or illegal as it's publicly published by multiple news agencies.

Which really makes we wonder how the government is dealing with the Brave browser which uses Onion/TOR protocols? They must be pulling their hair out lately. It's quickly gaining popularity.

There are better alternatives for privacy than TOR.

Last edited: