Best temperature monitoring

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I have the following setup:

intel i6700K
asus z170-deluxe
ekwb custom loop

Lately I have been trying to understand why my 6700k seem to run as hot as it does. Using both CoreTemp and RealTemp I can see that my temperatures are maxing out at between 85-90 degrees celcius. While I don't think that these temps are the stable operating temperature under load but more of like 'spike' values I am still confused when reading of other users that report temps around 50 degrees celcius.

Are these temperatures normal? I clocked it from 4Ghz to 4.6Ghz and thats when I got these temperatures, but also at 4.2 I seem to be getting around the same. I am also wondering if 90 degrees celcius is a normal value for hte tempMax field in these apps? (given my computer spec that is).

I am thankful for any insight into this and how to interpret the data from these applications.

Solution
For the future, get some Arctic silver 5, it's cheap, ive been using it for years now, never had a problem with it, it's a great Tim, using it on my 3.9ghz overclocked R7 1700 under an ek water block and my cpu idles around 26oC, never goes above 58oC stress testing.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Welcome to the world of Intel those Temps sound pretty much about right, especially for an overclocked cpu, your are already using the best temp monitoring software, you could try and remove your cooler, clean up the Tim and apply some new decent Tim, it should bring down the Temps a little, but only by a max of 5oC or so.

Are those Temps whilst stability testing?

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I'm not running a stress test, just gaming (though bf1 is really demanding). I see that you have a 7700k and because it's newer than my 6700k there might be a slight difference in normal temps?

When you are running either of the mentioned temp applications, what does your max temp say? 65? I am even using a custom waterloop from ekwb (i picked the best components) and Im ALSO using their special indigo TIM. I might've had bad cooling for an extensive time before I switched to customer water loop (i had a dust-clogged coursair hydro i100gtx pro or whatever).

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

Sorry Im new to the forum and my oriignal reply is... below I think?

playing battlefield 1 my temps 61c on the coolest core 70c on the hottest

shouldnt be a great temperature difference between a 6700k and a 7700k

dont think you should be hitting those temps with a watercooling loop since you werent stress testing

what rpm is your pump showing?

i am not even running my pump fast or my fans

my fans are at 1000rpm max as i like silence

edit--thats me downclocking it to 4.5ghz to get similar to what you are using to compare--normally at 5ghz so gets well into the 70s then

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

My pump is at max rpm, also tried to lower it... but the temps you are reporting, are they the ones labeled max/min temperature in the real/core temp? Can this be due to a damaged MB/CPU? As I mentioned earlier I did run this cpu ona subpar cooler for a while and accidentally bent one of the cpu socket pins (first time that happened in my 25+ years of experience). I am also using the Lian Li pc-o7s chassi which might have an inferior airflow, but this shouldnt matter when watercooling right?

Also, I noticed yesterday that the tubing from the pumpoutlet that's going into the most center inlet in the cpu waterblock passes the graphicscard, almost topuching it. Might it be picking up heat from the graphicscard?

pump shouldnt need to be at max over a certain rpm theres no noticable gain

no shouldnt be because of damage to cpu/mb

case wont have a massive impact as long as theres at least some air flow

no it wont pick up heat from the gpu as the air between the tubing and gpu is a bad conductor of heat

is your gpu also in the loop just out of curiosity ?

whats the actual cooling hardware you are using pump,rads,fans,blocks etc

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

The gpu is not in the loop.

Current loop config is.

EKWB Evo S block
EKWB 360 (the thin version)
EKWB DDC Pump/reservoir combo.
EKWB Vardar fans.

Waterloop setup is:
Pump (labeled out)> Cpu block (the middle hole) -> (right most hole) > Reservoir -> Pump (not labeled but guessing its in).

Case setup is reservoir in the top part of case pulling in air. The fans are mounted on top of the reservoir pulling air in through a dustfilter, through the reservoir and further down the case.

I was thinking that yesterday, playing bf1 the case glass panel was of and I touched both radiator and wterblock with my fingers and they dont feel hot at all... isnt that indicative that theyre not absorbing heat from the cpu? Could something else be of when it copmes to my hardware reporting temps to the applications im running?

sorry had to pop out

if its the ek-xres pump and combo i have one--and you are getting a rpm reading so pump is working

obviously though any ek pump is going to be up to the job any way

never actually touched mine to see if it felt hot to be honest

a 360mm rad again is obviously enough for your loop

and the vardar fans are good

possible reasons its running hot

air lock in the loop

block not mounted correctly/flat

too much/too little thermal paste

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

I'm at work now but when I get home I will unmount the cooling block and see if the TIM is the culprit. As I stated above I bought the indigo extreme bla bla bla eti and in order to install this I have to make a proper reflow, beginning with the computer laying horizontally... this is probably the issue. I will checko tomorrow after work and let you know the results.

Thanks for being so quick with your answers.

no problem

and when i put my block on

i gradually tighten the screws in an x pattern

not fully tighten 1 then do the next

and a little tip

once its mounted i look at the rear of the motherboard to see if all the screws are coming through the holes the same distance

if they are you know the blocks on flat

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

So I found out what the problem was/is -the Indigo TIM (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-tim-indigo-xs-intel-115x). Seems my reflow (the process of heating up the cooling paste and letting it fill in all the cracks) was inadequate; only half of the surface of the cpu was covered.

I did another reflow (the third while building this pc) and now my maxTemp in realtemp is 74c unclocked and while clocked to 4.6GHz it's 84c. Still higher than I want but I'm pretty sure I succeeded with the reflow this time and it's not anything more I can do.

Do you think these temps are normal?

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

84oC is still pretty high just for gaming, these chips throttle around about 95oC so to only be 10oC away from that is pretty close. I would expect those temps if you were running Prime95 or IBT etc.

Marschiee

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017

Idon't know if you received my last answer but I thought I'd update you as to how thins have gone since you were nice to me by helping me out. I did my fina re-flow with the Indigo Extreme (that is to say my fourth time trying to apply this TIM) since temps during heavy gaming (bf1 all settings maxed) were around 84. This time I think the TIM settled for good as my maxtemps now under the same conditions are 64 (they're down 20c). No joke trying to apply the Indigo Extreme TIM. Definetly the hardest part, even more difficult than to setup the custom water loop. Can't say I recommend it since it is so different from the conventional paste.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
For the future, get some Arctic silver 5, it's cheap, ive been using it for years now, never had a problem with it, it's a great Tim, using it on my 3.9ghz overclocked R7 1700 under an ek water block and my cpu idles around 26oC, never goes above 58oC stress testing.

Solution

hey sorry been ill for a week with pneumonia

only just feeling up to catching everything up now

glad you got there in the end

that Indigo Extreme TIM seems like a beggar to get right kind of glad have never tried it myself