[SOLVED] Best test to see of my GPU is cooling good

Solution
Can be encouraging to run a stress test with GPUz open before you leave "Auto" just to jot down the voltage, temp, fan RPM, and GPU-only power draw figures. That way you know where you started and where you end up.

Core Clock
MHz / mV
600 / 820
900 / 870
1145 / 920
1215 / 945
1255 / 975
1300 / 1030
1380 / 1130
That's about 10mV above my average curve. So it should be stable. If not, try adding an extra 10mV to the frequency you're testing and try again.

Memory Clock = 2000MHz / 940mV, Memory Timing - Auto

Refer to the undervolting guide I linked earlier if you have any questions for testing anything except State 7. Much more info in that guide also.
Reactions: Ihavenoname123
Most modern GPUs (you haven't said what you have) will lower their clock frequency to reduce power consumption [heat] once a certain temp has been reached and the fans are already at max. That's usually in the upper 80s C.

Can I just ask what your GPU temps actually are?

Ihavenoname123

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
Most modern GPUs (you haven't said what you have) will lower their clock frequency to reduce power consumption [heat] once a certain temp has been reached and the fans are already at max. That's usually in the upper 80s C.

Can I just ask what your GPU temps actually are?
i have a asrock phantom gaming rx580 and after one benchmark run it hits max 80 degrees
and when i stopt the benchmark in 30 seconds it is 50 degrees

Last edited:
One thing you'll want to do is download GPUz here so you can monitor frequencies and voltages. Take note of your current situation when running a stress test (frequency & voltage).

Check out this guide on how to undervolt your GPU. Don't worry, there's no harm in this, and you can reduce power consumption by 30-50W. The voltages in that guide will be the same for your card (the RX480 and RX580 are exactly the same) with the exception of the fact that your card will have a 1400MHz performance state. Set that voltage at 1150mV. (Once you get above ~950mV, the curve is about 1mV per 1MHz.

Ihavenoname123

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
One thing you'll want to do is download GPUz here so you can monitor frequencies and voltages. Take note of your current situation when running a stress test (frequency & voltage).

Check out this guide on how to undervolt your GPU. Don't worry, there's no harm in this, and you can reduce power consumption by 30-50W. The voltages in that guide will be the same for your card (the RX480 and RX580 are exactly the same) with the exception of the fact that your card will have a 1400MHz performance state. Set that voltage at 1150mV. (Once you get above ~950mV, the curve is about 1mV per 1MHz.
ok thx for respons but wat if i undervolt my card to much will it harm my card i am new to this edtit:i have read the post and i dont understand everything. so can someone give me setting that will work. and how about warranty

Last edited:
As I said above, there's no harm in undervolting (unlike adding voltage when you overclock). IF you take away too much voltage, [most of the time] the game you're playing will freeze for a couple seconds, then the screen will go black for a couple seconds, (during this time, the AMD driver is resetting everything back to Auto), then it will bring you back to your game, usually in the menu screen (as if you've pressed escape to save or change settings). Other times, the game will just close completely and you'll be looking at your Windows desktop. These events only happen while you're dialing in your settings (just like when you OC or undervolt a CPU) since you're making adjustments to prevent these instabilities from happening. When you've got a stable profile, you can save it, and apply it anytime with just a couple clicks.

For reference, my MSI RX480 GamingX does 1305MHz @ 1030mV and 73C after 10 minutes on FurMark stress test with fans at 1100rpm.
If you want to skip a lot of testing, once you've read through the guide I linked earlier, you can post the 7 frequency states of your card here and I'll give you voltages to enter for each that should be stable.

Ihavenoname123

Prominent
Aug 7, 2019
As I said above, there's no harm in undervolting (unlike adding voltage when you overclock). IF you take away too much voltage, [most of the time] the game you're playing will freeze for a couple seconds, then the screen will go black for a couple seconds, (during this time, the AMD driver is resetting everything back to Auto), then it will bring you back to your game, usually in the menu screen (as if you've pressed escape to save or change settings). Other times, the game will just close completely and you'll be looking at your Windows desktop. These events only happen while you're dialing in your settings (just like when you OC or undervolt a CPU) since you're making adjustments to prevent these instabilities from happening. When you've got a stable profile, you can save it, and apply it anytime with just a couple clicks.

For reference, my MSI RX480 GamingX does 1305MHz @ 1030mV and 73C after 10 minutes on FurMark stress test with fans at 1100rpm.
If you want to skip a lot of testing, once you've read through the guide I linked earlier, you can post the 7 frequency states of your card here and I'll give you voltages to enter for each that should be stable.
Hey sorry for the late respons but school begins in my country so i was bussy. but the 7 frequency states of my rx 58 are. status 1=600 status 2=900 status 3=1145 status 4=1215 status 5=1255 status6=1300 status 7=1380

Can be encouraging to run a stress test with GPUz open before you leave "Auto" just to jot down the voltage, temp, fan RPM, and GPU-only power draw figures. That way you know where you started and where you end up.

Core Clock
MHz / mV
600 / 820
900 / 870
1145 / 920
1215 / 945
1255 / 975
1300 / 1030
1380 / 1130
That's about 10mV above my average curve. So it should be stable. If not, try adding an extra 10mV to the frequency you're testing and try again.

Memory Clock = 2000MHz / 940mV, Memory Timing - Auto

Refer to the undervolting guide I linked earlier if you have any questions for testing anything except State 7. Much more info in that guide also.

Solution