Best thermal compound

GameMusic3

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-thermal-paste.html

As a new one to applying thermal compound I am quite intrigued by the SIMPLICITY and RELIABILITY of carbon.

Is the claim true?

Which brand should I get?

Carbon-based thermal grease claim to offer the best of both worlds: Safe foolproof application and superior heat transfer. The first claim is true - Carbon-based thermal grease do not conduct electricity... so nothing is going to fry even if you slosh it all over the CPU and motherboard.

When it comes to lowering temps, carbon-based compounds work just as well as metal-based ones. A 1 to 2°C margin is all that separates them in most CPU themal paste reviews.

Widely recognized as one of the best CPU thermal paste, Arctic Cooling MX-4 has been winning over reviewers with excellent thermal performance that is comparable to Arctic Silver 5 (0.5 to 1°C difference in most tests). Its manufacturer also claims that MX-4 is able to last eight years with one application, sparing you the hassle of replacing your thermal paste every two years or so.
- See more at: http://www.buildcomputers.net/cpu-thermal-paste.html#sthash.wlnBOor4.dpuf

GameMusic3

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I could not find a specific answer to the 8 year guarantee or how important that is, but I did get a small number of benchmarks and learned I DEFINITELY SHOULD AVOID DIAMONDS.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/geek_tested_17_thermal_pastes_face

I do not need the large amount of paste since I would only do 1 or 2 computers so I like the PK-1 and X23-7783D in small cheap amounts with excellent charting.

With similar results electricity is a big consideration because I am new with the whole thing so silver is out.

How would you rate the longevity of the AC compared to other compounds?

Do I need one if I buy a new cooler in the first place? [Stock usually includes compound - would other cooler also?]

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

+1

No need to use Arctic Silver 5 any more, when mx-4 works better and doesnt require any curing time.

GameMusic3

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

From the chart I should pick a Corsair, Enermax, Quiet, Zigmatek, Scythe, or especially Phanteks pre-applied, or Prolimatek PK-1, Gelid Solutions GC-1, Noctua NT-H1, Xigmatek PTI-G3606, Be Quiet! DC1, Xigmatek Xi-3 HDT, Thermalright CF III, Zalman ZM-STG2, Arctic Cooling MX4, or Nanotherm PCM+ manual.

Each of those have a score 35-37 and in the manuals at least 7 usability [AC had 6 though I would still consider it because of vetting].

Phanteks would be a simple combination except every cooler is a minimum of 50 dollars!

The person that wrote that article is an idiot. Most metal based thermal pastes are not conductive. I can name many that are not (including Arctic Silver 5, which they incorrectly use as an example of a conductive paste) and none that are aside from some very exotic ones that can hardly be called pastes.

AS5 is very mildly capacitive, which means that it will act as a mild dielectric if it happens to bridge two conductors. If this happens, just clean it off carefully like any other paste.

EDIT: Grammar