Best thermal paste for a laptop with both CPU & GPU ?

Dec 20, 2020
So i have an old MacBook mid 2010 13" with a core 2 duo p8600 and a geforce 320m, i firstly put a decent ammount of arctic mx5 but after three days the temperatures increased so hard that my gpu idles at 60c+ and maxes at 82c, before it was 74 at maximum load.
yes the fan and the heatsink is clean, do you think Kryonaut would be a better choice?

Hey there,

How did you apply the paste? Typically you should apply a 'pea sized dot' in the centre of the chip. When you place the heatsink/pipes back you replace the screws on the heatsink in a crisscross pattern which ensures an even spread of the paste over the chip. If you get the pasting wrong or not even exactly right it will cause higher temps than expected. Application of the paste is often the thing that prevents new paste from working optimally.

The MX5 is fine for a laptop. I'm currently using Noctua NT H1 which I found gave better results than Arctic/Cooler Master Gel/MX4.

So i have an old MacBook mid 2010 13" with a core 2 duo p8600 and a geforce 320m, i firstly put a decent ammount of arctic mx5 but after three days the temperatures increased so hard that my gpu idles at 60c+ and maxes at 82c, before it was 74 at maximum load.
yes the fan and the heatsink is clean, do you think Kryonaut would be a better choice?
Conductonaut is the best for cooling with Thermal Grizzly, it's a liquid metal. However if you are not confident with your skills in applying it, this may not be for you. Using it myself works very well and it definitely works,8-10 c cooler than thermal paste for me. It comes out of a needle and you have to apply light pressure to get it out as a pea shape. Then you use a q-tip, provided, and spread it around. In the beginning it will feel like you are not spreading it correctly because it stays wet, but the more you spread it around it will start to dry. After it dries you can add more if you feel you need it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Dec 20, 2020
Conductonaut is the best for cooling with Thermal Grizzly, it's a liquid metal. However if you are not confident with your skills in applying it, this may not be for you. Using it myself works very well and it definitely works,8-10 c cooler than thermal paste for me. It comes out of a needle and you have to apply light pressure to get it out as a pea shape. Then you use a q-tip, provided, and spread it around. In the beginning it will feel like you are not spreading it correctly because it stays wet, but the more you spread it around it will start to dry. After it dries you can add more if you feel you need it.
Thanks, I know about conductant, but I saw and heard that liquid metal dries after half a year and damages even copper heat sinks and dies. I think I’ll be better off with kryonaut

Yeah, you can certainly use liquid metal, but not for the faint hearted, and there is a need to be very careful with application, specially in a laptop. Would agree it gives lower temps for sure.

Funnily enough, I recently read a good article on the affects of liquid metal on different metals: How Liquid Metal Affects Copper, Nickel, and Aluminum (Corrosion Test) | GamersNexus - Gaming PC Builds & Hardware Benchmarks

Although liquid metal will stain (badly) a copper HS/pipe system, it doesn't degrade the performance of that cooling system. Aluminium on the other hand is a no go. But you won't aluminium HS in laptops.