[SOLVED] Best thermal paste for GPU?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Any quality paste will work fine, the better it works on CPU, the better it'll work on GPUs. The main issue is longevity; my KPx degraded a bit after 3 months, and der8auer mentions Kryonaut on GPUs are to be replaced annually.

I heard Hydronaut is good for longevity. Basically what's long lasting on laptops will work as well on GPUs. They're both direct die application. Alternatives: ICD, Mastergel Nano, AS5.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
what are the issues that you are having? can you fill us in with complete specs for your system, I say this because before you risk damaging your GPU while disassembling, there may be alternative solutions to your problems or problem
If you want more details, I have another post I made on it. However, no one seems to care about it since it's like my 3rd post on it, so I just finally asked for a good thermal paste as somehow reapplying it worked for a tiny bit.

It's the GPU alone, I've crossed out any other problem when putting it in multiple computers (literally). There is something wrong with either the paste, the heatsink itself not touching properly (which I know isn't the case since it does spread using X method), or there is something not registering within the hardware itself (like a firmware leak). No one has been able to help for a year now, so maybe you could know?

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Any quality paste will work fine, the better it works on CPU, the better it'll work on GPUs. The main issue is longevity; my KPx degraded a bit after 3 months, and der8auer mentions Kryonaut on GPUs are to be replaced annually.

I heard Hydronaut is good for longevity. Basically what's long lasting on laptops will work as well on GPUs. They're both direct die application. Alternatives: ICD, Mastergel Nano, AS5.
Yeah, but I heard there are different metals between a CPU and a GPU, so not all CPU pastes work "correctly" on a GPU die. I could be wrong (don't quote me).

I'm just trying to get any info on what a GOOD GPU paste would be to see if the paste really is the problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The W/mK thing doesn't work, or holds little water(no pun), as the temperature testing is not standardized.
One manufacturer will test at x degrees C, another will test at y degrees Celsius, and so on. The performance is going to be different across the many samples, so a comparison based on W/mK alone is useless.

@Oxicoi , the pastes that work best/better on gpus are the thick and sticky kinds.
The more fluid pastes are likely to see more collecting around the sides of the die compared to thicker ones due to the glass-like surface of the gpu die and pump out from the cooler mounting pressure.
The Best Pastes list linked by JohnBonhamsGhost still has some use, thanks in part to the Legacy Thermal Paste Testing chart, near the bottom.
Image 4 has a list of several pastes along with a viscosity rating.

-Noctua NT-H2: I can vouch for this one, as I currently use it on a 1080Ti. NT-H1? Ehh, that one can stay with cpus.

-Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut: I can't recommend this one unless the gpu is at least liquid cooled. This one 'burns out' faster the higher your operating temperatures are, which is silly, considering TG advertises it for overclocking.
Higher temperatures(~80C and up) lead to you having to repaste more often, so this stuff costs more than it actually does.

-TG Hydronaut: IMO, the better alternative to Kryonaut, as it doesn't have that silly little weakness.

-Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano

-Kingpin KPx

-Gelid GC-Extreme: Was number 4 on the best pastes list.

-Prolimatech PK-3: Was number 1 on the best pastes list.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
The W/mK thing doesn't work, or holds little water(no pun), as the temperature testing is not standardized.
One manufacturer will test at x degrees C, another will test at y degrees Celsius, and so on. The performance is going to be different across the many samples, so a comparison based on W/mK alone is useless.

@Oxicoi , the pastes that work best/better on gpus are the thick and sticky kinds.
The more fluid pastes are likely to see more collecting around the sides of the die compared to thicker ones due to the glass-like surface of the gpu die and pump out from the cooler mounting pressure.
The Best Pastes list linked by JohnBonhamsGhost still has some use, thanks in part to the Legacy Thermal Paste Testing chart, near the bottom.
Image 4 has a list of several pastes along with a viscosity rating.

-Noctua NT-H2: I can vouch for this one, as I currently use it on a 1080Ti. NT-H1? Ehh, that one can stay with cpus.

-Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut: I can't recommend this one unless the gpu is at least liquid cooled. This one 'burns out' faster the higher your operating temperatures are, which is silly, considering TG advertises it for overclocking.
Higher temperatures(~80C and up) lead to you having to repaste more often, so this stuff costs more than it actually does.

-TG Hydronaut: IMO, the better alternative to Kryonaut, as it doesn't have that silly little weakness.

-Cooler Master Mastergel Maker Nano

-Kingpin KPx

-Gelid GC-Extreme: Was number 4 on the best pastes list.

-Prolimatech PK-3: Was number 1 on the best pastes list.
Dang. I just got the NT-H1 Sunday. Frick. Oh well, I'll get H2 as well so I got for both CPU and GPU.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Dang. I just got the NT-H1 Sunday. Frick. Oh well, I'll get H2 as well so I got for both CPU and GPU.

Meh, it'll be fine OP. NT-H1 just won't last long under the GPU. It's not about the difference between metals, just that GPU is direct die application and CPU has its IHS.

I concur with Phaaze said, Hydronaut is good alternative. It's designed for direct die application, and seems to hold up under high (>80°C) temps.

FWIW, I use KPx on both CPU and GPU. Initially, load temps are down 4°C for the GPU with stock air cooling, haven't tried with my AIO.
The GPU side seems to have degraded a bit, I see a good 2-3°C off idle after repasting yesterday. Got a pack of Hydronaut for the next repaste and for my laptop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
@Oxicoi
You know, I don't believe you ever posted the rest of your PC specs, like:
cpu
cpu cooler
chassis
fan setup
radiator location, if using a hybrid cooler.
Reason for that is because I isolated the problem to it being the GPU only. No matter open-chassis, room temp being roughly in 70F (cooler most likely since I got a window and cold air comes in from it), heat air conditioning closed off, whatever it may possibly be.... the GPU is the one that runs the highest temps.

However, if you'd love for those specs to be specs-ified.... heh..... then I will list them here, right below:
CPU - Ryzen 3900x (PBO only)
CPU Cooler - Don't know exact model, but it's a Deepcool 360 Rad where CPU is lower, Rad is higher (removing any air entrapments)
Chassis/Fan setup - All open. No chassis. Desk fan blowing on all components.
Radiator location - Just standing on my desk

David0ne86

Prominent
Mar 11, 2021
I'm curious.. what's this monstrous temperature we're talking about that you're trying to keep at bay? I mean by the sound of it it seems like you're trying to cool down a thermal nuclear reactor lmao.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The 2070 Super is also a Windforce?
2070 Super Windforce
7260-top.jpg

2080 Windforce
6650-top.jpg

The heatsinks LOOK the same, but one does have a bigger gap at the sides - this does allow for more exhaust air to escape the shroud.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
The 2070 Super is also a Windforce?
2070 Super Windforce
7260-top.jpg

2080 Windforce
6650-top.jpg

The heatsinks LOOK the same, but one does have a bigger gap at the sides - this does allow for more exhaust air to escape the shroud.
Exactly what they look like. Maybe a reason for high temps because no room to release the heat?

EDIT: Woops. Just noticed. The 2080 has the RGB logo, not the 2070 Super. However, the 2070 Super is bigger than 2080.