Best thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
AS5 is good and is the most popular but the best is Arctic Cooling MX-2, it slightly (and I mean slightly) outperforms its competition and spreads real well. Also, unlike AS5 which has silver particles in it, MX-2 is totally non-conductive.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
i mean theres not much of a price difference, and if there is even the slightest performance boost, its still a step up, thanks. I cant believe people make it a big deal about the price of thermal paste, i mean its like 5-10$, whats the big deal? lol. Oh yes, i forgot to ask, whats the best way to apply thermal paste? I do believe its just sticking one drop in the middle and letting the cpu cooler naturally spread it out

pjmelect

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
The very best thermal paste is home made paste with diamond powder mixed in with it. There was a post on this forum about it and there are web pages about it but I will leave it up to you to look it up.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
o.o diamond, must be expensive (thermal paste wise that is), how were the benchmarks for it? lol i just imagined a cpu and cpu cooler that were made out of diamond...

I use IC Diamond 7 Carat Thermal Compound:

http://www.innovationcooling.com/

Here's a link to the xbitlabs technical review and test results of just about every compound made:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermal-interface-roundup.html

Here's a link to one of the online vendors:

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ic-diamond-7-carat-thermal-compound-15-gram-p-16605.html

The compound works very well with my Thermalright Ultra 120 cpu heatsink.

To be fair there are other thermal compounds that are very good. For the typical user a temperature drop of a few degrees Centigrade won't make much of a difference. For a hardcore gamer into serious overclocking on a suicidal mission to save the planet from alien invaders it might make a difference.

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
now it seems like IC diamond 7 carat is the best in the benchmarks...hmmm. Wonder if i should put thermal paste on my video card? Or is it too much for a newbie

I also used IC Diamond on the northbridge and southbridge chipsets of my motherboard. I haven't tried it on a gpu yet. If you look at the xbitlabs review you'll see IC Diamond didn't do as well on the gpu. Some of the other compounds did better.

EDIT - I just bought and XFX HD 4770 graphics card. It is a dual slot version that exhausts hot air out one of the rear panel slots. It's also an energy efficient card so I don't know if it would be worth the effort.

Yoosty

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
Here is a very good Review on 80-way Thermal Interface Material Performance Test.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

The Review is takes into consideration the Curing time of each Thermal Compound and post them. Here are two examples:

Arctic Silver 5 Polysynthetic Thermal Compound (4)
(4) Arctic Silver 5 Application Instructions (up to 200-hours recommended curing time.

Tuniq TX-3 (0)
(0) No Curing Time or Special Application Suggested.

jeffredo

Distinguished

Very effective, cheap, easy to use and clean up.

G

OCZ freeze extreme, non conductive, easy to use and does a fantastic job at that, no curing time and not very expensive, better than AS5 in my opinion in cooling (2-3 degrees cooler now with it) Just dont use any KAK that comes with any components in small plastic packets, it wont work well...

tmike

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Roughly equivalent to asking someone's religion :)

I'm currently on Shin-Etsu X23-7762. It lowered my temps slightly, but in fairness I didn't give the AS a full run-in before switching.

jsc

Champion
I pretty much use Arctic Silver AS5 and Ceramique. Both times that was what the local Rat Shack had.

I have noticed little difference between the two. I also have not noticed a significant difference in temperatures before and after the AS5 cured.

Curing time - theoretically AS5 needs about 200 hours and several power on-off (heat-cool) cycles to cure, to set, to whatever to deliver optimum performance (maximum cooling).

uncfan_2563

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
is it only AS5 that requires curing time? i think 200 hours is a bit much when your computer is in your room and you have to sleep there. it makes it very inconvinient.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
problems with AS5:

curing time
must be reapplied every few months for best cooling results
is conductive

i used to have temps of 33*C idle now im at 38*C after 6 months. :( i suppose you might have to do this with all thermal paste but i hear its especially crappy on AS5.

Status
Not open for further replies.