[SOLVED] Best thing to upgrade?

Rhez

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Hello there!

First, a huge thanks to all the times this forum has come up in my google searches for aid. This is my first post here!

I'm so lucky to be getting my very first 144hz 1440p monitor next month. However, to go along with that, I should be also be able to buy an upgrade for my build. But I've been going back and forth between options over the last week, and I was hoping, that someone here might be able to help me decide. (Note, budget is just about 350USD, more or less)

By current build is:
CPU: Intel Core i5 7500
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 (OC'ed)
Mobo: ASUSTeK H110M-A/M.2
Ram: 2x8GB Corsair DDR4 2400mhz

Now, I'm not necessarily interested in fully utilizing the 144hz in my monitor. But keeping a stable fps a good tad above 60 in 1440p would be nice.

Since I recently managed to OC my 1070 to pretty much give me a 1070 TI performance, I'm thinking that I can still go a good while on that card.

I'm thinking a mobo + cpu upgrade might be in order? The only issue being, I've read, that if I go with a Ryzen 5 2600 + comp mobo, which I was considering, I would also HAVE to upgrade my RAM. The other option I was considering, was an i7 8700, since CPU overclocking really isn't something I plan to dabble in, unless I can be sure it won't affect the longevity of the CPU. But I'm not sure which is the better option. I don't do a lot of production on this computer, so gaming performance is really what I care most about. Although being able to use it as a workstation would be a nice option.

Thank you so much for reading, and have a lovely day!

Solution
I'm so lucky to be getting my very first 144hz 1440p monitor next month. However, to go along with that, I should be also be able to buy an upgrade for my build. But I've been going back and forth between options over the last week, and I was hoping, that someone here might be able to help me decide. (Note, budget is just about 350USD, more or less)
Well from "Reading" the best budget would be Dell S2719DGF
But after reading some reviews of bad image cause of the TN panel, This asus monitor gives you an IPS panel.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_mg279q_gaming_freesync_monitor_review,12.html
or someone else might recommend you better one, since Im kinda idiot at it...
Well from "Reading" the best budget would be Dell S2719DGF
But after reading some reviews of bad image cause of the TN panel, This asus monitor gives you an IPS panel.
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_mg279q_gaming_freesync_monitor_review,12.html
or someone else might recommend you better one, since Im kinda idiot at it.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm#response_times (Response times of the monitor).

Now, I'm not necessarily interested in fully utilizing the 144hz in my monitor. But keeping a stable fps a good tad above 60 in 1440p would be nice.
Since I recently managed to OC my 1070 to pretty much give me a 1070 TI performance, I'm thinking that I can still go a good while on that card.
True.

'm thinking a mobo + cpu upgrade might be in order? The only issue being, I've read, that if I go with a Ryzen 5 2600 + comp mobo, which I was considering, I would also HAVE to upgrade my RAM.
Probably not, you can keep the 8GB's and overclock them to 2666 or 2800Mhz without issue., but I think personally culprit would be ram usage as you might find a game that demands more ram.

The other option I was considering, was an i7 8700, since CPU overclocking really isn't something I plan to dabble in, unless I can be sure it won't affect the longevity of the CPU.
Sorry but your current motherboard supports 6th/7th gen.

Solution

Rhez

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Thanks for replying!

Sorry but your current motherboard supports 6th/7th gen.

Oh, I'm aware.

I would be able to afford a mobo upgrade for either CPU option. I just wonder what would be a better, a b360 mobo with an i7 8700, or a b450 mobo with a Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x. If I go the Ryzen path, I could also get a couple of 8gb 3000mhz corsairs to run dual channel, since I understand it to make more direct use of RAM, than its Intel equivalent?

Rhez

Reputable
Mar 20, 2019
Thank you so much for the video! Oh! And sorry I didn't make it clear in the OP. The monitor is unrelated to the budget, the 350 is what I have left AFTER the monitor. I'm getting the MSI Optix MAG271CQR.

Hmm, It IS kind of tough to decide. But the future upgrade path is a good point. However, I'm hoping I won't have to upgrade for at least another generation if I was to buy the 2600x.